Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the ability to import different fps in the project

the ability to import different fps in the project 10 years, 1 month ago #1178

first of all special thanks for the great developers

Now It is impossible to import any file not the same project fps (frame per second)

and it is very hard to import any kind of footage to the project until you convert it first

Unlike Final cut pro you could import any kind of file and the it will handle every thing

we hope you could make it different

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #10997

• JMN
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
+1

That's the only BIG issue I'm having. I realize there are issues, but sometimes you have footage with different framerates and you just need to use them as nothing else is available. Having to use a separate conversion program beforehand is just laboursome.

Even Windows movie maker can handle different framerates...
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by Site Admin.

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #10999

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
JMN wrote:
Even Windows movie maker can handle different framerates...
Well, if you consider the quality of this handling sufficient - why use LW at all?

Constant framerate - not in edit/timeline, but in single file - is something fundamental for the broadcast standard. You can use speed-up or slow-down keyframed effects, but at the end you must export your work at some broadcast standard framerate. Today, a lot of Web-acquired files are not constant framerate, but it doesn't mean they're of any standard, not talking about quality...

Mixing files with different constant framerates of some broadcast standard in a single edit/timeline is another thing...
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11001

• JMN
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Indeed, but if for one have very different projects as far as quality requirements go. Sometimes I just want to make a clip for youtube or my friends and sometimes I need to make something more professional.

I would like to able to use the same program for all my editing needs and AGAIN sometimes you are forced to work with whats available.

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11002

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
I understand your longing, but current LW beta is surely not suitable for all editing needs and is not aimed at it. I believe no reasonable man is firing up Photoshop just to scale down the bitmap...
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11926

• Hyperboreer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
I totally agree drkuli. LW is not quite the right tool to put together a fancy clip from your last family journey to Lake Balaton. I recommend mpeg-streamclip to convert different footage.

Download:

www.squared5.com/

(for the newbies)
ullu

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11928

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
The fact that Lightworks currently only supports a limited number of broadcast standard frame rates is the result of of its history as a video editor for the film and broadcasting industry. It was a very expensive curated turnkey solution for film and broadcast studios. It was not even available for the consumer market. This also explains why it supports a limited number of codecs.

However, since Editshare decided to open source Lightworks, it has been gradually developing Lightworks so that it can handle a wider number of formats and codecs. Until it actually goes open source, it is unable to use opens source GPL libraries that would provide a wider number of import/export/codec options. While it is still closed source it cannot make use of these because of GPL licensing terms.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by shaunthesheep.

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11953

so why until now editshare don't want LW to go open source?

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11954

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
It is not a question of Editshare not "wanting" to open source Lightworks. Editshare is currently reviewing hundreds of thousands of pages of 20 year old of code for intellectual property issues before they can open source it. It has to be purged of proprietary code before it can be open sourced. It is a laborious process.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by shaunthesheep.

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11955

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
What do you mean "until now"??? EditShare acquired LW in 2009, announcement about going Open Source was made a year ago, together with the first registration of interested editors & volunteer developers...

the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11959

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
rafek_finearts wrote:
so why until now editshare don't want LW to go open source?

It's actually more surprising that Editshare is making Lightworks Open Source than that they aren't!
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by Forum Admin.

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11985

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
Definitely! More power to Editshare!

My personal nightmare about open sourcing LW is not how long it's taking, it's that we could end up with bloatware. We currently have a fast, compact, efficient program.

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 7 months ago #11990

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 7 months ago
jwrl wrote:
My personal nightmare about open sourcing LW is not how long it's taking, it's that we could end up with bloatware. We currently have a fast, compact, efficient program.

Once it goes OS, some sort of plug-in architecture should be implemented so only those things a user wants needs to be installed.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 6 months ago #12609

• strypes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 6 months ago
Was asking questions about LW earlier. The ability to conform to frame rate (eg. 24fps to 23.98, 29.97to 25 and vice versa) should at least be considered.

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 5 months ago #13928

• Boog
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 5 months ago
To return to the original thread topic, which is a feature I also would like to see;
I see no reason apart from opinion why Lightwork in a (near) future shouldn’t be able to import footage with frame rates differing from the project frame rate. Please do not confuse input frame rate with output frame rate - broadcast standard or not.

Remember that the speed tool already today plays clips at whatever speed you set, playing clips with a different input frame rate at “real” speed is essentially nothing different.

Another thing is what to do with the missing or superfluous frames, the easiest and most crude way is to simply duplicate or skip frames, while blending necesscary frames is more pleasing to the eye - within limits!

One solution could be to automatically (import settings!) import the rate deviating clips into individual subclips (or syncs??) with appropriate video speed correction set and some ‘frame-rate-correction-eye-pleaser-blending-effect’ already applied. A concept that wouldn’t change Lightworks. The ‘frame-rate-correction-eye-pleaser-blending-effect’ could also be useful in conjunction with the ordinary speed tool.

If it’s not obvious – I like Lightworks very much, more and more as I use it, the exact reason why I make this suggestion since I think it would make it even more versatile.

Kind regards, BjornE
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top