Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack

Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19397

• jlenting
  • Expert Boarder
I'm currently working on a zero-budget film, which contains (among other things) an interview with a subject that takes place outdoors.

At the time of the shoot, i made sure the area in question was quiet.
However, upon viewing the footage, i notice there is some wind noise during the interview - which interferes with the vocals the "actor" is creating.
On the day, it was not even particularly windy, but i guess the camera mic is so sensitive it picked up even the slightest breeze.

(I know that if I used an external mic, the audio quality would've been better).

My question:
Is there a way in which i can get rid of (or minimize) the wind noise in editing ?
My specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2ghz;
Memory: 4gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 630

Re: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19398

Wind noise is a really big problem, and it's the reason why you see those gigantic furry animals wrapped around microphones. With sound, unless the noise is a very narrow frequency, which you can "notch out" with a filter, you can't remove it without seriously affecting the sound you want to keep.

If the voice is audible above the wind noise, then one thing you can do is put a high-pass filter in the chain, adjusting it so that it cuts out the low "booming" or "thumping" noise from the wind.

Beyond that, you could try boosting the mid frequencies slightly to emphasise the voice.

If there are other ways, I'm sure other forum users will suggest them.

Re: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19399

• jongjong
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, wind noise is extremely difficult to eliminate. The problem is that the wind isn't at one discreet frequency, but rather a constantly shifting frequency range. I suggest rolling off as much of the lows (low frequency) as possible without noticeably cutting into the actors' voices. Then use a de-esser, in case there's any whistling wind (and it will help for the actors' sibilance as well). Then boost the mids as much as you can without making the voice's boxy/telephony. Then see where you're at. Tweak. Repeat.

But, any of these fixes also depends on your post sound design for the scene. It would help if the scene, as you imagine it, is supposed to be a little noisy. That way, you can layer your source (and score) to help mitigate your problem. If you can justify it (creatively speaking), then add light Walla, dogs barking, leaves rustling, ice cream truck jingle, etc. You can even add in your own 'wind' to help balance the scene out. And, don't forget to use small editorial fades (half-a-second and under) at the head and tail of your sound clips to soften the pop from a clipped waveform.

I hope it helps!

Re: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19400

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
After you've gotten rid of as much wind noise using EQ, try manually replacing any wind noise between words with windless ambient noise. This will be a tedious process, but may be enough to salvage the shot. You could also do ADR if your actors are still available.
Work Comp: XP Professional SP3, Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3070MB, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB

Home Comp: TBA

Re: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19402

All treatment is depending on the character of the main sound and the noise. I have managed to get a great result by the treatments in the post above, but if that doesn´t do it you could make a noise-reduction, CoolEditPro had one that you could tweak a lot and i know that Audacity have a plugin like that. If then the levels of highs/consonants have dropped too much, you could sort of ´fake´them back with an exciter. A lot of work, and as always: you shouldn´t fix it in the mix, or as my teacher ones said "crap in - crap out..."

Good luck, hope you make it...
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by lindskogen. Reason: better language

Re: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19404

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Take a look at iZotope's RX2, and use its repair tool to "paint" out the noise. The demo comes with a plugin and Standalone version, so why not give it a try.

Re: Getting rid of wind on the soundtrack 2 years, 4 months ago #19411

• jlenting
  • Expert Boarder
Wow - thanks for all the very detailed advice.
Much appreciated.

Just a silly LW question:
How exactly can i tweak the bass, mid-level and trebel in LW ?

I've added the EQ effect to the clip in question - but i can't see where i can change the levels.
And the user manual does not mention it at all.

Also, i looked at the "audio mixer panel" but i quite honestly can't make sense of how that works.
My specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2ghz;
Memory: 4gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 630
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by jlenting. Reason: corrected a misspelling
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.41 seconds