Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't Input Text in Video?

Can't Input Text in Video? 2 years, 3 months ago #26462

• dcame23
  • Fresh Boarder
So I recently downloaded the public opensource (free) version of LightWorks. But when I click on the "Effects" tab, there's nowhere on there in which I can insert text - no "Titles" tab. Help, anyone? :/

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 2 years, 3 months ago #26463

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
The titler is not included in the Free version. The options are to purchase the Pro version or create alpha PNG images in your favorite image editor.

FYI, this has been answered quite a few times on the forum and clearly shown in a few different parts of the website
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 1TB :: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 :: Windows 8.1 Pro w/ MCE x64 :: Lightworks 11.5

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 2 years, 3 months ago #26551

• dcame23
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, I apologize for not checking the other forums and searching through all of them for my answer.

But thank you for the FYI. I didn't know.

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 2 years, 3 months ago #26552

• jwrl
  • Pro User
rhinox202 wrote:
FYI, this has been answered quite a few times on the forum and clearly shown in a few different parts of the website

dcame23 wrote:
Well, I apologize for not checking the other forums and searching through all of them for my answer.

In fairness until these forums have a workable search function it can difficult for a new user here to find what they need to know. I'm not criticizing you, rhinox202, because I've answered the same way in the past. I'm really criticizing a lack with these forums.

Where can you post a feature request for enhancements to the forums?

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 2 years, 3 months ago #26554

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
jwrl
It's hard for me to sympathize with the workable search function comment. The button is there and I would venture a guess that all forums have them, so find it. They are generally in the same area. The color could be changed to red or something like that so that it is blatant, but how far do we go to coddle people? If you want to do a search... SEARCH for it. The button is there and it's visible... it's with all the other functions of the forum. This is the digital age we live in, everything is searchable (just about). I think the problem (not saying this is true of dcame23) is that most people are LAZY! If they can't find what they want in under a second, it's not worth their time. Think about this for a second... they don't have any problem finding the "New Topic" button, but somehow a few buttons over is out of their view. I don't get it, nor can I sympathize [End rant]

Btw, I'll try not to take it as criticism

In case this was a serious question, there is a "Feature Request" section that 239 other people have found. Also a direct email to anyone on the support page should be fine. The developers and admins are quite nice and helpful in this regard. However, I'm sure they would prefer the forum section.

dcame23
It's fine. I didn't mean for my comment to come across as judgmental or whatever. The smiley face was supposed to make that clear. Failed I guess Sorry!
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 1TB :: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 :: Windows 8.1 Pro w/ MCE x64 :: Lightworks 11.5

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38153

I have just started to use Lightworks in the last few hours and was looking to insert text into my video. When I could not find that function, I looked here in the forum for an answer.

I have got to say for a video editing suite, not having the ability to input text in the free version is very undesirable. Even Windows Live Movie Maker has this ability. Looks like I might edit videos with Lightworks and if I need to add text, export the video and use Movie Maker for adding any text.
Python_61

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38154

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Apart from the lack of a titling tool and some unsupported codecs Lightworks is still the best free NLE. Lightworks has many futures that other free NLE's don't have. Fortunately there is workaround for most things.

Here is a tutorial about adding text:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
ovratorparensfoton.weebly.com
youtube.com/anonymjly
My Lightworks tutorials
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by sennahojx.

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38155

Looks like it would be quicker and more accurate to use Movie Maker to add titles and text to a video created by Lightworks.

Python_61
Python_61

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38157

If you plan to do this, be careful of any quality drop or codec mismatch. I suggest you export from Lightworks in an uncompressed format or better still, upgrade to the Pro version as it enjoys a very high quality title tool. You won't regret it!
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 11.1, ClipToolz Suite
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770, 128GB+256GB SSD+4TB Raid0,
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia Quadro Kepler, Decklink 4K SDI & HD-Link Pro
BenQ 24" GUI, Sony 15" Scopes + BenQ 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
X-Keys Pro 86 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
Carl Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Sony E-Mount APS-C camera, 4x4" matte box/follow focus
Rode NTG-3/Tascam DR-40 PCM audio
Clean HDMI out to Ninja 'Star' ProRes 422

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38163

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Python, it's faster to just create a title with transparent background in a graphics program and use it in an image key effect in Lightworks.
Work Comp: XP Professional SP3, Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3070MB, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB

Home Comp: TBA

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38179

There are in fact two places where searches can be done: the blue Search button at the top and also the search text box at the top right under the Private Messages link.

@JWRL. What exactly do you think needs improving in the forum search facility? My only suggestion for improvement is the following. Search results currently are listed chronologically in the order of date. So the first results that come up are from 2010-11 and are therefore related to Lightworks Beta v10 where the information can be sometimes be outdated because of changes to Lightworks since then. Unless people notice the date in the first results they can end up spending a lot of time searching outdated info. What I do is go to the end of the search results where the 2013 and 1012 posts are listed and work backwards. If there is an option in Kunena (the forum software) to reverse the chronology of the results so that recent posts appear first, I would suggest that it be implemented.

@Rhinox. I think that the reasons why people don't search first before posting questions can be quite varied. It can be people who for one reason or another are unaware of Web fora etiquette--very young people, elderly people or technically non-savvy people using the Web for the first time. They have either never used or rarely use Web fora. I can think of one person I know who would fit into the last two categories. He is in his 70s, is eccentric in a nice way, a brilliant musician, enthusiastic about modern technology but generally clueless when it comes to computers and the Web. Another person I know is highly educated, intelligent but has always been a technophobe, paranoid about being infected with malware. He is over-worked, doesn't have a lot of free time and uses the Web only occasionally with a certain trepidation. I am sure both would not be aware of forum etiquette.

I think that there should be sticky at the top of each forum category with the title "Please search the forum before posting questions that might already have been answered". When answering posts that breach this etiquette, I don't blame anyone for politely pointing it out. My approach is to just to post a link to the answer.

We should be aware that we don't know what state of mind someone is in when they are posting. It could be someone who has just experienced a bereavement or relationship problems, is very tired, ill and in pain, suicidal or had a frustrating afternoon wrestling with a technical problem.

Then there are people whose mother tongue is not English from who knows which part of the world: shanty-town dwellers in an impoverished country with only a slight knowledge of English trying to make sense of forum posts.
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB). 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024]. 1TB (7200 rpm) SATA Internal HDD (Windows 7 SP1 installed), Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (7200) internal SATA HDD (Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 installed). ATI Radeon HD 5450. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1. Sony HDR SR10 Handycam.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38181

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
If possible, it would be a nice if the forum automatically searched based on what you wrote before you post a new topic. I know that Nikon support does like that. I wrote a message and then it brings up some search results that may answer my question. If I don't find an answer I can then click send.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
ovratorparensfoton.weebly.com
youtube.com/anonymjly
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38197

• jwrl
  • Pro User
shaunthesheep wrote:
What exactly do you think needs improving in the forum search facility?

Given how long ago it was that I posted that, I can't recall what was in my mind at the time. I seem to recall having had a less than satisfactory search experience around then. Sorry.

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38199

@sennahojx. I have seen that on some forum I used recently--I don't recollect which one but it is a great idea.
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB). 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024]. 1TB (7200 rpm) SATA Internal HDD (Windows 7 SP1 installed), Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (7200) internal SATA HDD (Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 installed). ATI Radeon HD 5450. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1. Sony HDR SR10 Handycam.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Can't Input Text in Video? 1 year, 9 months ago #38222

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
[Trolling from banned user 'DogLover' deleted - Site Admin]

[Response...] If this program is so crappy,and all the other eloquent attributes you use, why are you here then? Most of the other users are quite content with what they get, others use other programs, so why even waste your time to post here?

(Edit: Referenced post was obviously removed by forum admin // correct - SA)
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX460, Win8 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Site Admin.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.97 seconds