Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files

Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 3 years ago #13879

• teal3b
  • Fresh Boarder
I downloaded lightworks a few weeks ago and have just begun to experiment. I have a video project due at work-- I have some video files that I made in Windows Movie Maker and I converted the files to .wmv --When I search for these files to import into lightworks when I click on the Folder in the lightworks the .wmv files don't show up and I can't find them to Import. Can lightworks import wmv files? And if not why? Do I need to convert these video files to avi or some other format to be able to import in lightworks? I have found lightworks to not be the least bit intuitive as far as even starting a project.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by teal3b.

Re: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 3 years ago #13881

Welcome to the forum.

Lightworks beta does not support wmv files at the moment. You would need to transcode to a supported format. See this list of supported formats. Future versions of Lightworks may introduce support for wmv.

Lightworks is a very powerful editor--the opposite of Movie Maker--and you need to give yourself a bit of time to learn it.

See the video tutorial section of the forum. And especially this general introduction.
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB). 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024]. 1TB (7200 rpm) SATA Internal HDD (Windows 7 SP1 installed), Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (7200) internal SATA HDD (Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 installed). 2TB (7200) WD External 1021 SATA HDD (7200 rpm), ITB Toshiba External HDD (7200 rpm), ATI Radeon HD 5450. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1. Sony HDR SR10 Handycam.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 3 years ago #13897

• teal3b
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your input. I did download a program yesterday(Full Video Converter Free) that let me change the wmv format to avi--then I was able to see the file when I attempted to Import it to Lightworks. Then guess what-- when I imported the file, Lightworks said that the file was 29 frames per second(fps) and therefore not able to be work in Lightworks(i'm paraphrasing). Is there a way to change the frame rate in Lightworks--I tried everything with no luck. Do I need to download another program that will let me change the frame rate? The camera that I'm using JVC GZ-MG20U has no setting that will allow me to change the frame so, I'm at a loss as to how to go about changing the frame rate so that I can import this video into Lightworks and view it.

Why is there ALWAYS something!!! Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Re: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 3 years ago #13903

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Just "Create a new project" with the 'Frame rate' set to 30 fps, give it a name and click on 'Create', and see if that doesn't let you import the 29 fps files.

Re: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 3 years ago #13910

• teal3b
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you SMPse, I will try that. I couldnt figure out the lightworks logistics, but I'll try again.

Re: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 3 years ago #13911

• doomsday
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
When I started with Lightworks I was at a complete loss as well. Just give yourself some time to learn and you will like what you find. Check out the tutorials and search the site, you will learn a lot. And, of course, if you get completely stuck ask on the forum. There are many users on here happy to help.

Re: Importing Windows Media Player Video Files .wmv files 2 years, 4 months ago #21307

• Rosh26
  • Fresh Boarder
Noway.I have watched that list with supported codecs.I have record files an uncompresed MJPG and program says "codeck is not supported" same with any avi compresed file or uncompresed MPEG 2 SD or HD
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.90 seconds