Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Color Correction

Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10860

• wapanap
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a newbie so pls bear with the elementary nature of my questions! I want to color edit a video segment. Chapter 9 of the manual tells me I have to go to an Add Effects > Video: Color menu. I simply cannot find this. I have a viewer and a timeline window open.

My second related question is can one import LUTs into Lightworks, and if so, how?

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10861

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
On the timeline (Edit) click on 'Effects..' in the lower right corner. The 'Add Effects' panel should open and here you go to Video: Colour-> Colour Correction.

No LUTs import at the moment.

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10863

There is a MagicBullet AE plug-in called LUTBuddy that may provide the LUT features you require. Registration is required, but it is free.

www.redgiantsoftware.com/downloads/free-products/

EDIT: I have not used this plug-in yet, so I can't verify it will work correctly.

EDIT 2: Unfortunately I can't seem to get LUTBuddy to work correctly. It loads but crashed Lightworks on several attempts.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by sethkersey.

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10890

• wapanap
  • Fresh Boarder
How do you install this plug-in for Lightworks, given it is for Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro?

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10891

• wapanap
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for that. To make an effect permanent, one has to make a copy of the clip with the effect in place?

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10894

• THL
  • Expert Boarder
To make an effect permanent as in having it applied to the clip but not showing up in any way, I believe you need to export it and reimport it. Kinda beats the purpose of non-destructive editing, however.

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 5 months ago #10898

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
On the edit timeline you can use the Render button to "Flatten" a clip that has many effects added to it and will no longer play back in real time. If you need to make changes to the effects you can "Re-configure" it and Lightworks will set the edit back up like it was before you flattened it.
Work Comp: XP Professional SP3, Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3070MB, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB

Home Comp: TBA

Re: Color Correction 3 years, 4 months ago #11210

• clutch
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
Hi guys
got someone here experience with advanced grading techniques (scratch, davinchi, lustre, etc...)?

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 3 years, 4 months ago #11306

Hi Clutch

Your are in the right place for starting your journey into colour grading. I think however it is probably best to understand that their is difference between Colour Grading and Colour Correction. LW offers the tools for the latter (Colour Correction). DaVinci Resolve or Lustre are a whole different thing.

A couple of books I have which I have found very useful-:

1.Video Color Correction for Non-Linear Editors: A Step-by-Step Guide
by Stuart Blake-Jones

2.Color Correction for Digital Video: Using Desktop Tools to Perfect Your Image
by Steve Hullfish, Jaime Fowler

Your HX5 camera will record 1 of a choice of 2 movie formats-:

1.AVCHD 50 fields/second (PAL) interlaced. 17Mbits/sec.
2.MPEG 4 at 25 fps Progressive mode with AAC Audio in this mode. 12 Mbits/sec.

It records 8Bit and uses 4:2:0 Colour sub-sampling.

May I suggest you follow Shaunthesheep's and Drkuli's workflow trials and methodology for using the resulting video from your camera. You will pick up some very good pointers. I did. (Thanks guys) Couple of things though you should also remember that either method or format of recording you choose will yield a maximum clip length of 29 minutes at the highest quality on a 4 Gb card and the MPEG4 recordings are 1440x1080 (Anamorphic 16:9) whilst the AVCHD is 1920x1080.
Colour grading I believe is applied not just for correction to video, but also to set the overall look of a program. Best to try and achieve the best you can whilst in the field whilst actually recording. LW does offer some fine correction tools and I think for your budget (Free) this is a great option.

Regards
RO
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by ABCRONNIE.

Re: Color Correction 3 years ago #16172

But what about setting up your monitor and viewing conditions? If your monitor is wrong, you'll be doing color incorrection.

-- J.S.

Re: Color Correction 3 years ago #16178

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
That's what the scopes are for. That said monitor calibration is important for the best work.

Re: Color Correction 3 years ago #16193

• jwrl
  • Pro User
Greg_E wrote:
That's what the scopes are for.
You can't colorgrade off a scope! You really do need a controlled environment, with preferably a neutral grey area lit to the same color temperature as your monitor is calibrated to.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 2.07 seconds