Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar

Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 2 years, 5 months ago #16430

Hi All,

For those of you who were not able to make what turned out to be a fantastic evening, we captured the "From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar" evening highlights for you.

Thanks to our friends at Manhattan Edit Workshop - highlights of "From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar" can be seen at - http://vimeo.com/31560823

Enjoy the highlight reel...and stay tuned as I will be posting more evening snapshots as the video packages are finalized!
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by zazilmediagroup. Reason: typo

More Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 2 years, 5 months ago #16727

Hi All,

We have several more Tariq Anwar event videos posted on Vimeo -

Tariq Anwar discussion about editing American Beauty - vimeo.com/31921706

Tariq Anwar discussion about editing Madness of King George - vimeo.com/31814747

Andy Liebman and James Richings discuss this history of EditShare and Lightworks - vimeo.com/31567672

Enjoy!

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 2 years, 5 months ago #16731

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
Nice! Please keep them coming!

Did he ever talk about Lightworks itself or gave any tips about the workflow he uses with Lightworks or anything like that?

Thanks for the videos. You guys are doing a great job with them.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 2 years, 4 months ago #16930

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
Bumping this to see if I get a reply.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 2 years, 4 months ago #17258

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
zazilmediagroup, it would be great if you could answer my question.

Thanks!

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 2 years, 3 months ago #17923

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
Any updates on this series or will there be more updates? Thanks.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21780

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
What happened to this?

I thought the idea was to post more videos about the event with Tariq?

By the way, the lack of Lightworks coverage by the specialized media at NAB 2012 is very strange. CS6 and even Smoke is all over the place on sites covering NAB. But I couldn't find anything on Lightworks.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21781

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
It's a conspiracy to put down the "under dog"

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21785

• ozsteam
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
I doubt it is a real conspiracy. I have promoted Lightworks on several other forums without much success as many people seem quite set in their ways, 'blinkered' even to trying something new. I suggest it may be human nature that we often do not wish to explore an unfamiliar system as there is a fear that it may prove better than our current system so then where would we be?

A lot of people like to do what everyone else does. Like sheep. For the non technical guy who buys a car, there is comfort in buying the same car that all the other guys buy. Just because most people use one NLE does not make that NLE the best in the world.

Here are a couple of reasons I use Lightworks:

* LW works and it's fast
* LW has been available for a long time
* LW was deveoped by industry professionals, not marketing gurus
* LW is continually being improved
* LW is scalable from 'Home' to 'Hollywood'
* LW has a very supportive Forum

All of which gives me a rather self satisfied and smug feeing of being 'in the know'...
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
ACER Laptop i3-350M 2.26Ghz
Intel HD graphics (1366x768)
Windows 7 64 bit, 4Gb RAM
24" BENQ 2420 HD monitor (native 1920x1080)
X-Keys Pro 86 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
ClipToolz 'Convert' professional transcoder
Main Camera: Sony NEX VG20 on rails with 4x4 matte box/follow focus/Rode NTG-3/Tascam DR-40 PCM audio
Carl Zeiss Contax 'vintage primes' with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Cam specs: PAL AVCHD v2.0 1920x1080 @ 50fps Progressive: 8 bit 4:2:0 compression @ 28Mbs with Dolby AC-3 Stereo/5.1 to SD
Clean 8 bit 4:2:2 HDMI out to external SSD
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by ozsteam.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21787

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
I will say that I get the same reactions from my coworkers, the justification is that we need to teach what is being used locally which is Avid or Edius... Every time they complain about Avid I just say find something else, buy it, and I'll see if I can install it when it arrives. Tired of trying to get them to actually learn about new stuff (or even the stuff we teach). But that's a discussion for a different time.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21793

The thing about Lightworks is that you have to get people to use it. You have to ask them how they do things on their current NLE and then show them how it works on Lightworks. Often, Lightworks does it better. Sometimes it doesn't. But what I've seen at NAB is that initial scepticism almost always turns into amazement as people see what a deep and capable application this is.

Meanwhile, despite the lack of obvious coverage (although I'm not sure how true this is - our press releases have appeared on hundreds of websites; just Google them) we're still getting 500 downloads per day and a quarter of a million people now have Lightworks on their hard drives. This will only increase with the full version, as well as the Linux and OS X versions when they come out.

We're also taking other measures to make sure that everyone is aware of the Lightworks revolution. Whether people like it or not, it's here to stay, and whether by stealth or by sheer force, it's going to become one of the most widely used NLEs on the planet.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21799

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of these news outlets are sponsored by some companies. One of the ones I visit is clearly sponsored by Adobe. So I doubt they will really give promotional space to Lightworks, which certainly must be bothering Adobe, and everybody else in the industry for that matter.

What Lightworks needs is a good marketing plan, presence in other forums, a youtube channel with videos showing features and also tutorials, a very well designed website that looks professional and inspires confidence all the while making sure people know about Lightworks Hollywood pedigree. Many people have no idea their favorite movie may have been cut in Lightworks, let alone that Lightworks is used in Hollywood or is a high-end post production solution.

The fact that Lightworks is "free" misleads a lot of people into thinking it's a cheap application. Cheap normally equals not powerful. Unfortunately this is the way people think. Specially many professionals. For example, even before FCP-X was revealed to be what it was, just the announcement that it would be $299 already sent some "professionals" to Avid. Just for the fear of being using something that now everybody could buy and they wouldn't have any exclusivity or edge over amateurs any longer. Believe me, this stuff matters to some people. The same thing happened when Blackmagic announced DaVinci Lite. There needs to be an educative campaign to let people know what Lightworks is. To let everybody know what Lightworks can do and has done. Then there will be no excuses and if they decide not to use it, which is their right and just fine, at least they will know the truth.

What Editshare should explore the most in my opinion is the Hollywood pedigree. Lightworks's biggest strength for marketing is it's connection with Hollywood. Number of Hollywood films edited in Adobe Premiere=0, as far as I know. The only other company that has a Hollywood pedigree is Avid. Not even FCP can really claim that. It was used sporadically on some projects by people who were Apple fans pretty much. Premiere, Edius, Toaster, you name it, can't claim any Hollywood pedigree. Get promotional videos and video interviews with Thelma Schoonmaker, Tariq Anwar and other Hollywood editors up on Lightworks website. Maybe even get one of them to demonstrate the program. All of the above plus word of mouth should be enough to spread the "gospel".

A great product will always sell itself. But a little well thought out push to speed things up never hurts.
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by LW_for_Feature.

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21800

@LW_for_Feature

Great post and all good points!

We are addressing several of these. We're redoing the website and we're also launching a publication aimed initially at everyone that's downloaded Lightworks but actually for the whole industry. It will be the biggest publication of it's type and it is intended to get the name of Lightworks much better known. We'll be releasing more details soon.

We know the other NLE manufacturers have noticed. The Lightworks project already has a gravitational pull. Some of our new developers have come from the other NLE companies. What does that tell you?

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21801

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
Ok but what about From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar? It was promised that the whole event was going to be available online. It has been 6 months now. Is it dead?

Re: Highlights - From the Cutting Room: Tariq Anwar 1 year, 12 months ago #21804

I don't know. I wasn't involved in that event. My understanding is that it was videoed by a third party and if they didn't have time to put it online then there isn't much we can do about it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.54 seconds