Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks for Mac

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #8951

I Wondered if there is a mac version of Lightworks?

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #8953

Please search the forum for topics about this. This is part of the roadmap, but there is a huge amount of work do be done, and things to be decided before we reach that stage.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #8957

The Lightworks roadmap is here. As you can see, work on a Mac version is scheduled to begin in quarters 3 and 4 of 2011.

Lightworks began life 20 years ago as a Windows-based turnkey video editing system--that is why a Windows version of the free Lightworks is being developed first.

Essentially, the sooner the Windows version is fully beta tested and stabilised, the sooner work on other OS versions can begin. Lightworks needs more Windows beta testers. Windows can be run on Macs. If you want to expedite matters, the best way would to help tests the Windows version.
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB). 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024]. 1TB (7200 rpm) SATA Internal HDD (Windows 7 installed), Seagate Barracuda 2 TB internal SATA HDD (Ubuntu Studio 12.04 installed). 2TB WD External 1021 SATA HDD (7200 rpm), ITB Toshiba External HDD (7200 rpm), ATI Radeon HD 5450. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1. Sony HDR SR10 Handycam.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9339

i think your project is great and it could be really useful for a lot of videomakers and companies from all the world... it would be great for me to test and use your software, and i think a mac version would great for the software' diffusion too, in particular in this period, because the actual version of final cut pro is going to quit in june...

i will not install a windows os on my mac (why i should? to get a more complicated system? to see an uglier interface? to pay two licenses?) but i really hope i will be able to test the mac version of lightworks soon for my jobs...

marco
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.marcopoderi.net

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9340

• jwrl
  • Pro User
Marcopode, Shaun summed it up in his post.

shaunthesheep wrote:
The LIghtworks roadmap is here. As you can see, work on a Mac version is schedules to begin in Quarters 3 and 4 of 2011.

On the current schedule there is no likelihood at all that a Mac version of LW will be available before the release of FCP-X. That schedule may not suit you, but unfortunately that is just the way that things must be. If work starts on porting to the Mac in Q3-Q4, in my opinion it's unlikely that there will even be a functional version of LW for the Mac this year.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9341

i will not install a windows os on my mac (why i should? to get a more complicated system? to see an uglier interface? to pay two licenses?) but i really hope i will be able to test the mac version of lightworks soon for my jobs...

Understood. Windows is not cheap, especially if your budget is tight in these difficult economic times. Keep calling back to the forum to see when Mac development begins.

And if you know any Windows users, please encourage them to beta test Lightworks.
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB). 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024]. 1TB (7200 rpm) SATA Internal HDD (Windows 7 installed), Seagate Barracuda 2 TB internal SATA HDD (Ubuntu Studio 12.04 installed). 2TB WD External 1021 SATA HDD (7200 rpm), ITB Toshiba External HDD (7200 rpm), ATI Radeon HD 5450. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1. Sony HDR SR10 Handycam.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9432

• adabis
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there,
I'm a final cut pro user looking to move over to a new NLE package. I think come June you'll find a lot of FCP 'PRO' users scratching their heads and contemplating going [back] to Avid.

Lightworks caught my attention a few months ago, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the mac version later this year. HOW CAN I GET ON THE MAC BETA TEST LIST? I'm afraid like other posters I'm not interested in using a Windows portal. It's hard enough getting up to speed with a new NLE let alone getting used to Windows...

I'm an editor and 1st assistant editor, working mainly on feature films in London, UK (most recently 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'). And my biggest need is software that is stable, compatible with Pro Tools/Baselight etc...a strong media management system and basically full film-out features.
Some notable features I did not see listed were things like 24@25 projects? (a dying breed admittedly), OMF file size limitations? OMF imports from pro tools?

Again, really intrigued by this, please do hurry with the mac version, there's soon to be a number of editors needing to jump ship!

Best of luck with the work ahead,
AB

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9435

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Media Composer has a new upgrade from FCP for $1000 www.avid.com/US/specialoffers/fcppromotion
That will get you the Protools integration that you want and do it for a decent price. This is the software only version, if you need/want hardware acceleration you'll need to drop some money on a Nitris DX or Mojo DX, I don't think any of the AJA or Black Magic Designs accelerators will work with Avid (could be wrong).

That will get you working and compatible while the bugs are stomped out of Lightworks for Mac.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9436

• adabis
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Greg,
yes I've already started a trial version of MC, but it's worth bearing in mind that old adage of 'jack of all trades, master of none' if I start to test every NLE out there - whilst my current FCP 7 (and 6) has handled the last few features I've worked on - I fear I'd get lost in software madness!

There's a specific reason Im interested in Lightworks beta, maybe it's to do with emphasis on film professionals sure, but also with their approach and attitude, and some truly great features for a BETA...reminds me a lot of Apple way back when...

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9438

Hi Adabis,

i've posted asking for the Mac version for the same reasons you wrote...
It possible a lot of users in June will contemplate going to other editing systems.

This project, Lightworks, is really interesting and i would like to test the beta versions too... i think it could receive more attention on the Mac OS than on Windows...

Congratulations to the developers who created this project, hope to work with you, on Mac Os soon...

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9439

• arniepix
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
marcopode wrote:
It possible a lot of users in June will contemplate going to other editing systems.

It's just as possible that a lot of users of other edit systems will contemplate moving to FCP in June. Wait till June before you decide.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9440

Arniepix i'm totally agree with you... i was a little bit afraid when i saw the new interface of FCP because it remembers the iMovie's one, but now i've seen the video of the preview at supermeet and i think It could be a very interesting release...

at the same time, it's possible there will be user moving from and to FCP, so, there will be "movements" and it could be a good opportunity for a project like Lightworks to get new users...

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9443

• jwrl
  • Pro User
...and if price is the reason that you want to buy FCP-X you can't get a much better price than Lightworks.

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9684

• jefbak
  • Fresh Boarder
Love the shaun the sheep farmer (watch this with my 5 year old and its awesome).
Would the mac version be 64 bit? Will windows run it run in vmware or boot camp?

Lightworks for Mac 3 years, 3 months ago #9685

• jefbak
  • Fresh Boarder
arniepix wrote:
marcopode wrote:

It's just as possible that a lot of users of other edit systems will contemplate moving to FCP in June. Wait till June before you decide.

That goes for us. We are using Adobe Premiere CS5 on Mac right now but may be able to switch to FCP in the next release especially if will ingest our AVCHD material without transcoding and then there is the 64 bit and all that.
Time to create page: 2.47 seconds