Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: where is the free code??

where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9190

• belemus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
---English---
I do very frank with you. I have read the Software License and is a licensed Proritaria, ie EditShare Company owns the code. Which I find it very disappointing when we talk about was going to release the code. I do not deny that the name and logos of either the Company Software. As Mozilla does with Firefox, but I could not have ACCESS to the code to start the respective amendments to the operating system Ubuntu.

I have had to download the version of Windows without obtaining the Code, what should I do to have access to this?

---Español---
Voy hacer muy franco con ustedes. He leido la licencia del Software y es una licencia Proritaria, es decir que la Empresa EditShare es la dueña del codigo. Cosa que se me hace muy decepcionante, cuand hablaron de hiba a liberar el codigo. No niego que el Nombre y logos del Software sea de la Empresa. Como hace Mozilla con firefox, sin embargo no he podido tener aceso al codigo para comenzar la respectivas modificaciones al sistema operativo Ubuntu.

Me ha tocado descargar la version de Windows sin obtener el Codigo, que debo hacer para tener acceso al este?

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9191

• Devine1
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Hi Belemus

1) A Linux version is not yet available for Lightworks.
2) If you are referring to the computer number that is requested during installation then you can choose any number between those that are offered. There are no other codes that are required.

If you are referring to the programming code then one of the Editshare guys will have to respond.

I suspect it won't be available until the official Open Source release date.
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Devine1.

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9195

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
The roadmap should make this clear. The source will not be available until the software is declared to be Open Source. It is not currently at that stage, so Devine1 is quite correct.

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9201

• shaunthesheep
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Hola and welcome to the forum. The first rule of forums is to search before posting.

If you search the forum you will see the forum admin and the moderators have explained in a number of threads why the source code is not yet available. See for example this post.

Just to bring you up to date: Lightworks is currently a Windows application. Before the source code can be released, it has to be prepared, technically and legally, and this is a long process. Also, during this time, the code is being worked on to improve the ability of Lightworks to work on a very wide range of hardware, as, before the Beta program, it was only supplied as a turnkey system on a very specific set of hardware.

I would add that Lightworks is 20 year old Windows software owned by different companies during this time. Its current owners, EditShare, decided to make it open source only last year. Before then, Lightworks was only available with purpose built hardware as a complete "turn key" solution.

The developers are now in the process of Beta testing it on a multiplicity of hardware combinations that exist on forum members PCs. And the code is being prepared technically and legally for open source release (scheduled for Summer 2011). Hundreds of thousands of pages of 20 year old code are being inspected for intellectual property licensing issues. You should know that free software is a legal minefield and the code must be free from such issues before it can be released.

The development of a Linux and Mac version of Lightworks is scheduled for quarters 3 and 4 of 2011. See the Lightworks roadmap.
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB). 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024]. 1TB (7200 rpm) SATA Internal HDD (Windows 7 64 bit SP1 installed), Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (7200) internal SATA HDD (Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 installed). ATI Radeon HD 5450. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard. Sony HDR SR10 Handycam.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9236

• belemus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Ah! That is perfect! I feel I should have searched. But you have to clear my doubt. About it are pretty acionsos his members of Free Software. For the full development of this application:)

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9244

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
shaunthesheep wrote:
Hola and welcome to the forum.
I loved that Shaun

@belemus: Hola! Nosotros, los miembros de este foro estamos tratando de asistir a los programadores en la búsqueda de errores, incompatibilidades, y discutiendo aspectos funcionales del programa, entre otras cosas, para lograr una versión final estable, segura y totalmente confiable como herramienta de edición de video. Solamente entonces, y después de haber sido revisado y despejado de cualquier posible tema legal, el código fuente de Lightworks será liberado . Bienvenido al foro!

ENGLISH:
@belemus: Hello! We, the members of this forum are trying to assist developers in finding errors, incompatibilities, and discussing functional aspects of the software, among other things, to achieve a final release stable, secure and completely reliable as a video editing tool. Only then, and after having been reviewed and cleared of any potential legal issue, Lightworks source code will be released. Welcome to the forum!
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9348

• Devine1
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Thanks Fran

I was contemplating using my Portuguese to try and respond but grateful I didn't

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 8 months ago #9369

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Thanks to everyone for the multi-lingual help.

We've come a long way towards Open Source, and, remember, it's still less than six months since the project was started!

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 4 months ago #13475

• Kinimod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Since it is mid-summer 2011 - any news on the availability of the source code?
Thx
Kinimod
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Kinimod.

Re: where is the free code?? 3 years, 4 months ago #13477

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
Kinimod wrote:
Since it is mid-summer 2011 - any news on the availability of the source code?
Thx
Kinimod

We're still in the Beta program. The Open Source stage hasn't been reached yet. Meanwhile, there's a lot of progress behind the scenes - so keep watching the forum.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.39 seconds