Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AC3 filter problem- browser hijacker

AC3 filter problem- browser hijacker 1 year, 2 months ago #54709

• leonie,jones
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Be gentle with me I'm new here!
I have some video files in AVCHD format which I wish to edit.
I installed lightworks and then followed the instructions for downloading the AC3filter which the blurb states I need to handle the sound in my files. However, when I followed the link and installed the filter it 'helpfully' installed the browser hijacker 'searchgol' as well.
I tried CNET in case they had a clean version and that file seems infected too.

Not sure what to do next (I've removed seachgol obviously). is the AC3filter necessary for me to use lightworks to edit my files?
Thanks
L.

Re: AC3 filter problem- browser hijacker 1 year, 2 months ago #54711

• frans
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
No, you don't need it, Eyeframe should be able to transcode your footage. Alternatively ffmpeg or ffmbc directly. I use Virtualdub with an ffmpeg based input filter. Possibly something like GoPro studio would be able to read and convert your files.

Re: AC3 filter problem- browser hijacker 1 year, 2 months ago #54713

• leonie,jones
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Thanks for that. Is there anyway of making it work without transcoding the files, I've got quite a lot and it's going to take ages to do.

Or does anyone know of a clean source of AC3 filter?

Re: AC3 filter problem- browser hijacker 1 year, 2 months ago #54715

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
leonie,jones wrote:
However, when I followed the link and installed the filter it 'helpfully' installed the browser hijacker 'searchgol' as well.

The linked website for AC3Filter is clean and it's a reputable filter that has been around for years. If a browser hijack was installed, it is because you missed an option in the installer. As noted in the thread linked above, it is mandatory that you "take care not to install the "extras" (ie. toolbar or other software)". They are often tricky and ask questions that by clicking "No" (which is generally the user's behavior) installs the adware. I have installed AC3Filter quite a few times and its installer always prompts you. I've also never had a problem. That said, you can bypass the bundled adware by running the installer from the command line with, for example, "ac3filter_2_6_0b.exe /nocandy" (no quotes). This is detailed here. Anyway, I'll update the other post so that others will more readily see it in the future. Good luck!

p.s. AVCHD is only supported in the Pro version. Having recently installed Lightworks, you have a 30 day trial. When that trial runs out, you can purchase the Pro version for an inexpensive fee or transcode your footage like frans mentioned.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 1TB :: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 :: Windows 8.1 Pro w/ MCE x64 :: Lightworks 12 Beta
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.22 seconds