Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AVI exporting problem

AVI exporting problem 3 years, 7 months ago #5445

Hi guys,

I have a small (53 second) project that I've been trying to export from lightworks. I had originally been able to successfully export uncompressed AVI that was compatible with VLC as well as Virtualdub. I was able to play it back, as well as extract audio and video for encoding and muxing in an MKV container. However, I discovered that my audio sync was off, so I decided to go back in to lightworks and make a few changes.

Unfortunately, when I exported again, VLC and Virtualdub would no longer play the video stream, and stated that it required an m102 codec (Matrox uncompressed AVI). I can't for the life of me get it to encode in the previously compatible format, and I don't actually know what "uncompressed" format it was encoding in previously. Lightworks doesn't have any settings to change for uncompressed AVI export either. Any ideas?

Here is a list of changes I made in lightworks:
Made small changes to cuts.
Changed from an mp3 soundtrack to a WAV format.
Changed back to mp3.
Change the video framerate settings.
Changed the export framerate settings.
Tried all possible combinations of the above.

I'm working with 1080p video from my Canon T2i, with an original framerate of 30p. My project framerate is 24p. I previously (one day ago) had no problem with this downsampling, so I can't see how that would be a problem. Unfortunately VLC doesn't support external codecs, and I need it for my workflow (Lightworks-->Uncompressed AVI/PCM --> Lagarith/Flac-->MKV container) I'm working on Windows 7 64 bit with Lightworks 10.0.3.

Any help with this, or insight of any kind would be greatly appreciated!
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by Psilocybe.

Re: AVI exporting problem 3 years, 6 months ago #6993

Having the same problem.
I'd love help too... :/

Re: AVI exporting problem 3 years, 6 months ago #6997

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
LW can surely export uncompressed without Matrox codecs installed. I don't have LW at hand to check export options in detail. Hope it will point you in the right direction...
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: AVI exporting problem 3 years, 6 months ago #6998

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Very few things will work with the uncompressed HD, at least in the testing I was doing tonight. Need to explore this option more to try and find a workflow.

Re: AVI exporting problem 3 years, 5 months ago #8806

• robbt
  • Fresh Boarder
I had a similar issue where uncompressed AVI footage was initially exportable with 10.0.3 before I installed the Matrox Codec.

After I installed the Matrox codecs and exported uncompressed video VLC and the Miro Video Converter (which uses ffmpeg) were unable to read the uncompressed AVI referencing back to an unsupported codec.

Even after uninstalling Lightworks and the Matrox codec, then deleting all references to Matrox I found with regedit, Lightworks version 10.0.4 couldn't export uncompressed AVI video.

So playing around with it a little bit more I've found that exporting as an AVI with DVC Pro as the compression provides a format that is playable and capable of being transcoded by VLC and Miro Video Convertor.

That codec is DVC Pro 100. It's not uncompressed but by the same token 1080p footage is only around 800 meg per minute vs. 8 gig when exporting uncompressed.

I'm also using footage directly from a Canon T2i and it plays and edits just fine in Lightworks. I'm finding the logging and processing workflow to be quite friendly.

Here's the link to the Miro Video Converter which is free software that will enable you to transcode your videos to any web or portable formats. I'm just using it to shrink the HD video to WebM format for upload to YouTube. www.mirovideoconverter.com/
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by robbt.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.23 seconds