Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Export MP4

Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29128

• jedeast
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm new to Lightworks as of yesterday. I downloaded the free version, watched the tutorials, imported a bunch of .avi clips from my Nikon D90 and a couple .png's from Paint, created a decent 'edit' that I want to post on Youtube to share. I exported a .avi (32G in size) and tried to convert it to .mp4 with a couple converters but the conversions failed. The .avi plays and looks fine in VirtualDub. Since I plan to do this with other projects (create .mp4's from sets of .avi I have) I upgraded to Pro today to export mp4s directly.

But in the Media files dropdown from the Export window, the dehighlighted option 'MP4 (Pro)' went away as expected but the only options now after upgrading are AVI, Image sequence, MOV, MXF and WAV. How do I export .mp4 directly from Lightworks?

(On my Windows XP machine I used to create a large .avi from a bunch of small .avi files using AVIsynth scripts and convert it. The machine died, I can't remember how I did it and it was pretty clunky so I'm trying to use Lightworks on my new Windows 7 laptop).

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29131

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Not exactly answer on your question, but you can use VLC to compress a large file to a small .MP4 with H264 codec.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
ovratorparensfoton.weebly.com
youtube.com/anonymjly
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29219

• jedeast
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. I was convinced Lightworks could export MP4 directly because I couldn't believe the claims in the Features on the website would be so wrong. After a couple hours of unsuccessful forum reading I went back to the on-line documents and found a clue in the README. The solution was to go to the Export window, click on the Format that's selected, change the 'Camera format' from AVCHD to XDCAM EX. That allows MP4 to come up as a 'Container'. That's not intuitive to me, since I'm just dealing with files and no camera as far as I'm concerned. I imported files to Lightworks; I didn't use 'Record new clips' and connect my camera to Lightworks. I'm not conversant with containers and formats.

The file size of the 12 minute MP4 video Lightworks exported was about 2.5 GB (the AVI it exported is 32 GB). I tried to upload the MP4 to YouTube a couple times but with no luck (many hours wasted, about 1600 minutes needed). But in my forum reading I remembered seeing issues about the size of the MP4 files Lightworks exports. I had downloaded VLC on your recommendation. I converted the .avi file that Lightworks exported using VLC and the MP4 it created was about 500 MB, needing about 300 minutes to upload.

Viewing the two MP4s, the one exported from Lightworks and the one from VLC, I couldn't tell the difference in quality (but don't put a lot of stock in my ability to critique). Lesson learned though, there are differences in how video can be compressed, even into the same mp4 format (or container, or whatever).

My suspicion is I"m running into the need to use tools for what they're good at. My initial desire to have one tool do it all might not be realistic. I was able to create (what I think) was a great edit in a very, very short amount of time, from ground zero, using the tutorials. That was fun. But it looks like maybe I should export the resulting AVI from Lightworks, and use other tools to handle compression.

Part of my thrashing/confusion has been that the audio of both MP4 files created (the one from Lightworks and the one from VLC) don't play the audio using Windows Media Player, but VLC does play the audio of both files. I hope when the YouTube upload completes, the audio is there.

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29225

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
My suspicion is I"m running into the need to use tools for what they're good at. My initial desire to have one tool do it all might not be realistic. I was able to create (what I think) was a great edit in a very, very short amount of time, from ground zero, using the tutorials. That was fun.

I believe this to be a very important point. From my limited perspective, Lightworks is great at editing.

It takes quite a bit of extra work with the free version. Not so much more if you aren't using a camera. More time, yes. I frequently convert files before import. I always convert files after export. It's a fact of life with the free version.

I have lightworks to be used as my main NLE.
Dell 8400 Intel P-4 HT 3.0 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 2-Seagate Barracuda 500 GB internal HDDs, 1-WD My Book 1 TB ext HDD (USB 3.0 PCIe), Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit, (Dual boot w/ Ubuntu Studio 14.04), SoundBlaster Audigy SE, Nvidia GT 630 2048 MB DDR3 RAM, LWKS v11.5

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29233

• jedeast
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
I created my edit with the free version, then upgraded to the Pro thinking that would help me with the compression. I think that wasn't quite right. But that's okay - hopefully I'll use the features I bought on my future projects.

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29234

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm curious how the audio worked out for you. Could you share the results?
Dell 8400 Intel P-4 HT 3.0 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 2-Seagate Barracuda 500 GB internal HDDs, 1-WD My Book 1 TB ext HDD (USB 3.0 PCIe), Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit, (Dual boot w/ Ubuntu Studio 14.04), SoundBlaster Audigy SE, Nvidia GT 630 2048 MB DDR3 RAM, LWKS v11.5

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29236

• jedeast
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
All's good. I started uploading the MP4 I created from VLC to YouTube this afternoon and it finished tonight. When playing it from YouTube the audio's fine. I think there's something wrong in my laptop with Windows Media Player.

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29238

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
You took a very round about way to get to youtube. What you should have tried was the Quicktime MOV export and then go through and set up for h.264 video and AAC audio. Currently there is an issue with the regular mp4 export option but I'm sure they are working on it.

Re: Export MP4 1 year, 11 months ago #29257

• jedeast
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
A better way sounds good to me. I had exported the edit as a MOV file from Lightworks. But Windows Media Player made it appear to me that it only contained audio and VLC shows a black screen while the audio plays. I'm guessing the video's there in the file and I can't see it, but YouTube will when I upload it, the same way it found the audio in my MP4 file when I couldn't hear it when I used Windows Media Player. I can tell now that the MOV comes out of Lightworks about the same size as the MP4 that VLC output from the AVI that Lightworks exported (about 2.5GB).

I don't know what you mean though by "and then go through and set up for h.264 video and AAC audio". I don't see those as YouTube upload options. Or is that something I do in my system or viewers to be able to see the video before uploading?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.84 seconds