Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks?

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 3 months ago #26517

Hi Jeff DePonte,

Yes it was an excellent choice. There are probably faster graphics cards but it is great to edit full Hd 1920x1080 projects. I also network a 2nd Alienware Laptop (Model )M14X which also runs LW. It has an onboard Intel Graphics HD4000 and an NVidia 555m. I also have Edius running on it to take advantage of Quicksync and the Sandy Bridge Processor. Makes rendering H264 for Blue Ray so quick.

Both of these laptops are very well suited to video editing. I would say they are not the cheapest though

Hi Cookiecutter,

As soon as I can I will re send you another example file. Maybe only 30 seconds this time.

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 3 months ago #26557

Although LW11 Pro works very well now with ProRes, faster handling of this codec is keenly awaited. (I find DNxHD is much easier to work with - less processor intensive)

PS: I'm currently testing a beta version of HDCinematics' new AVCHD transcoder which incorporates timecode into the proxy and HQ ProRes transcodes. We hope to offer this 'one stop shop' Lightworks solution very soon to the growing number of producers shooting AVCHD on DSLRs and pro-sumer cameras which do not record native timecode.
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770 Workstation
128GB SSD, 256GB SSD 4TB Raid0, 16Gb DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia Quadro Kepler
Benq 2710 & Benq PG2401PT 10bit Reference Monitor
X-Keys Pro 86 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
ClipToolz 'Convert' professional transcoder
Camera: Sony E-Mount APS-C with 4x4 matte box/follow focus/Rode NTG-3/Tascam DR-40 PCM audio
Carl Zeiss Contax 'vintage primes' with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Clean 4:2:2 HDMI out to 3rd party recorder

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 3 months ago #26561

Oz,

What do you mean by "faster handling of this codec?" Is there something significantly "slow" about using ProRes files?

And, for the record, the reason that I require the ability is that I have many, many hours of footage in this format, both for completed projects and projects awaiting post production. I do NOT want to have to reprocess the camera originals!

Thanks for your reply, I am very much interested in hear more from you.

Jeff

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 3 months ago #26565

No, you should not need to re-process your files. I've spent the last couple of months streamling an efficient workflow path for AVCHD 'prosumer' cameras and DSLRs for 'professional' use in LW. Although LW on a high spec PC will handle native AVCHD, that recording system is not really designed as an editing format so transcoding to a codec that is editor friendly (such as ProRes) is more efficient. (so long as you have the disk space)

According to comments from the Moderator on this thread, LW developers: "...have also made some improvements to ProRes file handling. These improvements will be available in a new build shortly."

My tests on relatively low spec hardware suggest that if I compare identical Mbit rate transcodes from AVCHD to Avid's DNxHD vs Apple's ProRes, the former is a lot easier to work with ie: uses less processor power = faster, easier editing. I am reliably informed that ProRes requires substantially more processor power to work with than DNxHD for the same Mbit rate. However,(correct me if I'm wrong) ProRes will support frame rates of 50P whereas DNxHD only supports 50i so as I shoot 50P, any future 'improvements to ProRes file handling" are eagerly awaited by this writer!
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770 Workstation
128GB SSD, 256GB SSD 4TB Raid0, 16Gb DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia Quadro Kepler
Benq 2710 & Benq PG2401PT 10bit Reference Monitor
X-Keys Pro 86 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
ClipToolz 'Convert' professional transcoder
Camera: Sony E-Mount APS-C with 4x4 matte box/follow focus/Rode NTG-3/Tascam DR-40 PCM audio
Carl Zeiss Contax 'vintage primes' with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Clean 4:2:2 HDMI out to 3rd party recorder
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 3 months ago #26566

As I gave up shooting interlaced video a long time ago, getting DNxHD to support progressive frames is critical! With all due respect to the good folks at LW, how did all of the films that they tout as having been edited on their system get edited on their system?

Also, since I have at least a couple of folks watching this space, a question: are there any computer sellers that know how to successfully build LW-capable systems? I am interested in a tower of some sort. I discovered a seller in the US called Puget Systems. They have a box called Serenity that should do the trick:

Puget Systems Serenity

...for around $2400.

Does this make sense?

Jeff
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Jeff DePonte.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 3 months ago #26567

DNxHD does and has always supported progressive video. 50p is not a broadcast standard.
Time to create page: 1.45 seconds