Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks?

Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25375

Pardon my ignorance,

Iʻm a Mac FCP 7 editor in the process of evaluating my options as FCP starts its long, slow fade to black.

Question: I have several documentaries that have not yet moved into postproduction, except that the AVCHD camera files have been transcoded into FCP ProRes 422. Am I to understand the tech specs of Lightworks correctly: that LIghtworks can import these Mac-created, ProRes 422?

Really?

And, is it easy to import/export FCP 7 project files with my editor? (She is still on FCP 7.)

Thanks!

Jeff

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25377

• RWAV
  • Pro User
Mac ProRes files should import into LW Pro.

Sharing projects with FCP may have to be via something like AAF with or without embedded media. You'd have to do a bit of testing of workflow - The following is on the main menu on top top of this page under "Lightworks" "Tech Specs"

AAF Interchange
•Avid Media Composer and ProTools integration with AAF export presets
•Import and Export AAF
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz, 2927 Mhz, 6 Core(s),
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
BlackMagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
Driver Version 9.6.8

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25380

Hi Jeff,

I am in the same situation as you are.

Right now, I'm having a lot of problems importing prores files. LW never recongnises the audio from a prores file, it replaces it with pink noise. Moreover, audio is never in sync with video. I have just placed a post about this issue.

And also, keep in mind that LW is supposed to import prores, but it is strictly impossible for the software to export it, you will have to use another format (the kind of formats we - FCP editors - rarely like to use : DVCPRO, UYVY etc.)

As for the EDL from FCP to LW, it might be difficult to make it work. I've only tried the other way round, from LW to FCP, and it was not very successful. But I have to keep on trying.

Good luck to you anyway.

alexis.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25386

Hi stanalexis,

If you are having problems with particular files, you need to get these to us ASAP so we can analyse the issue and fix it accordingly.

Sample files can be sent via wetransfer.com to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25412

Alexis,

Thanks for this. Major bummer! I have 40+ hours of ProRes files to work with, and I really do not want to have to re-transcode these inside of Lightworks to start editing.

Cookiecutter: is this typical, or is Alexis' case unusual? If your Tech Specs claim that ProRes imports into LW, what was your methodology? If this doesn't work well, I can't even BEGIN to think about testing LW.

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Jeff

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25414

Jeff DePonte wrote:
Alexis,

Thanks for this. Major bummer! I have 40+ hours of ProRes files to work with, and I really do not want to have to re-transcode these inside of Lightworks to start editing.

Cookiecutter: is this typical, or is Alexis' case unusual? If your Tech Specs claim that ProRes imports into LW, what was your methodology? If this doesn't work well, I can't even BEGIN to think about testing LW.

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Jeff

As Cookiecutter said, we're analysing the files so that we can fix this. It might even be that these are not valid files. Or they might be and we have an issue with them. The trouble is that when we receive files in any given format, they could have been created anywhere, by any application, with any combination of settings. Even though we'd like to, If we spent all our time testing every permutation of every file, there wouldn't be any Lightworks in the first place! Of course, if we find a very basic workflow that doesn't work, and that we've missed somehow, we'll fix it. Please remember that it's only two weeks since we released this software from a state where it was being tested by a few dozens of people to, now, being used by many thousands.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25416

Forum Admin,

I can appreciate the complexity of this. I will be watching carefully from the sidelines until this is stable.

Thanks!

Jeff

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25417

I think a lot of us are really behaving like students, trying to learn your software as correctly as we can, which is not an easy thing with neither a true manual (I know it's supposed to come soon) nor decent video tutorials (let's forget those on youtube). So we are relying on this forum, which is a positive thing, because you handle it with great professionalism.

Prior to posting anything on this forum, I try every thinkable possibility to solve my problem, and then only, I allow myself to post a new topic. Regarding this prores issue, I don't have a single file which is exempt from this desynchronization problem. And all of these files work perfectly in FCP, Vegas, or Premiere. That is why I am pretty sure that the issue comes from LW.

Moreover, I'm certainly not forgetting that the software is only two weeks old, that you are not here to resolve every single problem we have on this forum, and that it is perfectly normal for it to have a few issues (though it is not a free version anymore ).

Thanks again.
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by stanalexis.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years, 1 month ago #25418

stanalexis wrote:
I think a lot of us are really behaving like students, trying to learn your software as correctly as we can, which is not an easy thing with neither a true manual (I know it's supposed to come soon) nor decent video tutorials (let's forget those on youtube). So we are relying on this forum, which is a positive thing, because you handle it with great professionalism.

Yes, there's a lot to learn. There's a completely new codec framework as well, which, since it's the most complicated part of any workflow now, means that it is the most challenging part of this rollout. But we're working on it and with the feedback we're getting, we'll have this sorted out as quickly as we can.

The manual, by the way, is the correct one, for version 11 of Lightworks, but it was written before a lot of the import/export mechanism in the new version was finished. So that's the part we're waiting for and we'll update the manual as soon as it's ready.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years ago #26472

Bump? Any news on this issue?

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years ago #26477

Hi Jeff DePonte,

The specific issue that stanalexis was having has now been fixed in the latest build undergoing testing. We have also made some improvements to ProRes file handling. These improvements will be available in a new build shortly.

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years ago #26480

Jeff DePonte

I was also a user of FCP7 and I have been using Pro Res 422 files created by FCP7 successfully within LW V11 Pro.
BTW the picture quality is great.
Now the caveat is that if there are more than 2 tracks of audio, for example 8 tracks on HDCAM, for some reason LW is unable to decode them successfully resulting in pink noise.
Workaround was to demux the audio into single files using QT Pro and saving them separately then remaking the clip with video as a sub clip. Not practical for you though.

Also the graphic display of the clip once dropped on the timeline is truncated to 50% the length of the Video graphical display. The Audio tracks appear to have no data.

I have reported this problem and I know the devs are looking into it.

Cheers
Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years ago #26482

Hi ABCRONNIE,

Did you send us a sample?

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years ago #26483

Hi Cookiecutter,

Yes I did along with some screen shots. 12 Hour upload.

BTW I have noticed the same issue with DVCPRO 50 files created on FCP 7 where there is more than 2 audio tracks involved i.e. Digital Betacam capture.

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Mac ProRes 422 to Windows Lightworks? 2 years ago #26484

Hi ABCRONNIE,

Please can you tell me where you uploaded the files to?
Time to create page: 2.38 seconds