Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: File size too big

File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #22393

Hi Guys,

I have finally after a few months of hard study made a cool video (well I think so ) I have used all the trick I have learned from the forum and edited something that looks good on the HD TV via HDMI cable from my laptop.

Its 16 minutes long and 6.2gb in file size. How the hell do I make it smaller to get it on YouTube or a DVD without ruining the quality?

It was all shot on a GoPro camera, tweaked in cineform and cut on Lightworks. i'm very happy with what I have been able to achieve but now need to be able to use it on disc etc.

As always all help appreciated.

Paul

Media Info Below:::

General
CompleteName : C:\Users\xxxx\output\MainEdit(2).AVI
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format_Profile : OpenDML
FileSize/String : 5.87 GiB
Duration/String : 16mn 31s
OverallBitRate/String : 50.8 Mbps

Video
ID/String : 0
Format : M701
CodecID : M701
BitRate/String : 49.2 Mbps
Width/String : 1 280 pixels
Height/String : 720 pixels
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9
FrameRate/String : 29.970 fps
Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 1.782
StreamSize/String : 5.68 GiB (97%)

Audio
ID/String : 1
Format : PCM
Format_Settings_Endianness : Little
Format_Settings_Sign : Signed
CodecID : 1
BitRate_Mode/String : Constant
BitRate/String : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 2 channels
SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 16 bits
StreamSize/String : 182 MiB (3%)
Interleave_Duration/String : 91 ms (2.71 video frames)
Interleave_Preload/String : 271 ms
Laptop: Win 7 Home Premium SP1, AMD V140 2.30ghz 64bit 6GB Ram
Camera: Sony HDR PJ760V, GoPro HDHero2, iPhone 3gs
Mic: Rhode Videomic Pro
Lightwork Pro Licence
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Site Admin.

Re: File size to big 1 year, 11 months ago #22395

• roel
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Paul,
You have a problem when you want to maintain quality and at the same time require a substantial reduction in file size. The problem lies in the high data rate. The codec you used is the matrox I-frame, I presume.
You will have to recode your video to a suitable MPEG2 datarate (about 8 Mbits per second)in order to be able to write it on a DVD, a task that can be done with the aid of for instance TMPGEncoder, a free download version may be downloaded from www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html. It is a very good recoder with minimal loss in quality, In the settings menu you choose the appropiate parameters for the purpose : DVD or You Tube. But remember: it will cost quality. On the other hand : if you have a Media Player you can hold on to the HD format and set the data rate for the recoder high,ie. 20-30 Mbits per second and get a high quality MPEG2 PS file that plays well from such a device, but a DVD player will not be able to digest that high data streams. They can be used - however- in the production of Blue Ray Diske. More compacte files are possible with MPEG4 encoding, but those files are not accepted by most DVD players.
roel

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #22919

thanks roel,

I tried TPMQuenq it took for ever and made an even larger file. I couldn't figure how to use it.
I tried freemake video converter but it made the video turn to stills captured about every six seconds.

What else can I try?

thanks
Paul
Lightwork Pro Licence

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #22920

• osaeris
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
Download ffmpeg and try the following:

ffmpeg -i my_huge_file.mpg -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 16:9 my_reasonable_sized_file.mpg

Which will create an MPEG2 DVD compliant file with the maximum possible bitrate.

You can also add in switches to lower the bitrate to say 4,000 kb/s like this

ffmpeg -i my_huge_file.mpg -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 16:9 -b 4000k my_even_smaller_file.mpg

Apologies if you're not familiar with command line stuff you may be able to get a GUI for ffmpeg to help you but I've always found the GUIs more confusing for stuff like this

I have used ffmpeg in windows command prompt and on those occasions I move the files to be converted into the folder I unzipped ffmpeg in to save messing around with environment variables.
Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS (64 bit) : Asus M4A78LT-M LE : Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz AM3 : 4Gb DDR 3 1333Mhz : 2 x 500Gb SATA drives, 1 x 2Tb SATA drive (1 system, 2 data) : NVidia GTX 630 dual head card (1Gb) : 1 x Eizo flexscan l768, 1 x DGM 24" widescreen monitor : Emu 1212m digital audio
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by osaeris.

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #22921

• osaeris
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
Also try this for sending your file to Youtube in 720p 30

ffmpeg -i inputHD.avi -s 1280x720 -b 3000k -acodec mp2 -ar 44100 -ab 128k -aspect 16:9 youtubeMPG.mpg

Up the 3000k by 1,000 if it's not good enough output for you.
Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS (64 bit) : Asus M4A78LT-M LE : Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz AM3 : 4Gb DDR 3 1333Mhz : 2 x 500Gb SATA drives, 1 x 2Tb SATA drive (1 system, 2 data) : NVidia GTX 630 dual head card (1Gb) : 1 x Eizo flexscan l768, 1 x DGM 24" widescreen monitor : Emu 1212m digital audio
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by osaeris.

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #22925

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Most of the recoders you get for free use ffmpeg. They are just user interfaces for the codecs. They also come with presets. You can start with the preset and see if it produces what you want. If it doesn't, you can begin tweaking the settings until you get the maximum quality for your target size.
Dell 8400 Intel P-4 HT 3.0 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 2-Seagate Barracuda 500 GB internal HDDs, 1-WD My Book 1 TB ext HDD (USB 3.0 PCIe), Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit, (Dual boot w/ Ubuntu Studio 12.04), SoundBlaster Audigy SE, Nvidia GT 630 2048 MB DDR3 RAM, LWKS v11.5

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #23080

Well I'm just badly stuck.

I can't work command line like you mention and if I use freemake or the like no matter what the settings I use the video ends up being jerky like it's taking a snap every six seconds.

Surely there is a program or a way to export my file from lightworks in a better fashion. Or am I really stuck with a 6gb video 16 minutes long.

Thanks for your input guys.

Cheers
Paul
Lightwork Pro Licence

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #23083

Ok, this is just a thought (something that I have run into)... The videos that are being encoded by your software may be fine. It could be your player on your computer struggling with 1280 x 720 playback. I would recommend trying to play it with VLC as opposed to Quicktime or Windows Media Player. Also one thing you may try is Handbrake. Encode the video as an mp4 and adjust the RF slider in the video settings to 10 or 20. You can keep the 1280 x 720 or output to a smaller resolution like 720x480 or 640x480. Again this may not be your problem but I have run into this in the past. First thing I would try though is playing your converted media files with VLC. One frame for every 6 seconds sounds extremely unlikely for any converter.

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #23084

Thanks Parmham, the origninal export will play perfectly in windows media player. But when I try to convert it or make it smaller with freemake it goes all jerky.

VLC will not play the file as it says codec not supported.

Cheers
Paul
Lightwork Pro Licence

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #23085

Try Handbrake. It's a free converter as well. I've had very good success with it. It also does a good job with de-interlacing and de-noising. Just google it!

Re: File size too big 1 year, 11 months ago #23089

ParmHam Handbrake worked sweet, it took it from 6.2gb to 800mb.
Thanks mate thats awesome
Lightwork Pro Licence
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.46 seconds