Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windows 8.1 Pro - Unable to start Lightworks 11.1

Windows 8.1 Pro - Unable to start Lightworks 11.1 5 months, 2 weeks ago #55591

• Kjotle
  • Fresh Boarder
I have upgraded from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro.

After the upgrade Lightworks refuses to start. I always get the message "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000142).

For your information: I have just recently downloaded and installed the 11.1 version of Lightworks (the trial-version), so I'm not too familiar with how to use the software itself, yet. If I could just get it to work on Win 8.1 Pro, I may better be able to judge the potential strengths and weaknesses of Lightworks.

I am not an expert when it comes to installing programs. So "high-tech" language may not be understood completely by me.

I am reasonably ok in English, though. So a nice and easy explanation of why win 8.1 pro is worse than win 8 pro in this matter would be appreciated.

And what I can do to fix it would be great...

Anyone...

Yours Sincerely
Kjetil Hvattum
Norway
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Kjotle. Reason: spelling error

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro - Unable to start Lightworks 11.1 5 months, 2 weeks ago #55595

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
You didn't say but it sounds like you are trying to run the 64-bit build of Lightworks on Windows 8.1. If so, this is a known issue and was just recently fixed in the Beta. You can download said Beta by signing up here or you can use the 32-bit version until the next stable version of Lightworks (11.1.1) is released. This should be in the next couple of weeks. Unless you are going to contribute in the form of testing/bug-reporting, signing up for the Beta isn't really necessary. Not to mention the 64-bit build currently has many limitations. You're better off installing Lightworks 32-bit for now. It's available on the Downloads page. Good luck!
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 1TB :: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 :: Windows 8.1 Pro w/ MCE x64 :: Lightworks 11.5

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro - Unable to start Lightworks 11.1 5 months, 2 weeks ago #55633

• Kjotle
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, rhinox202, for a lightning quick response.

And also for the serious and very informative answer.

Yes, I'm trying the 64-bit version (11.1) of Lightworks. If it is just a couple of weeks, then I'll wait for the stable version.

To me it seems weird that a 32-bit version should be better than a 64-bit version on a 64-bit OS... but I really should stop being surprised about limitations of software... and it's compability with windows.

Not that I'm being negative to windows in this matter. Win 8.1 pro would've been the best out-of-the-box OS for me if they just could get rid of this silly "teenage-mobile-app" UI.

But I'll wait for v11.1.1 (November, hopefully?). Then I'll begin testing the LW software to see if I can get my head around it.

I did try it out on my old Vista laptop, but that machine was too low-end to really make anything good out of Lightworks. I hope to be able to do more fun stuff on my new stationary PC.

Happy movie-making to you all...

Yours Sincerely
Kjetil Hvattum
Norway

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro - Unable to start Lightworks 11.1 5 months, 2 weeks ago #55636

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
Kjotle wrote:
To me it seems weird that a 32-bit version should be better than a 64-bit version on a 64-bit OS... but I really should stop being surprised about limitations of software... and it's compability with windows.

You are correct. It is weird, especially when an application wants to use as much ram as it can. That said, Lightworks has been around for a very long time and has been 32-bit only for a lot of that. It wasn't until, I believe, May of this year that they added 64-bit support. Being so new it is not without its problems and codecs (namely QuickTime) not having good 64-bit support doesn't help matters. Things will improve on 64-bit as the Developers continue their exceptional work.

Until that point comes, I would recommend installing the 32-bit version. It's the version that I and most of the users on this forum use without issue. And until that time you can make use of the Official Video Tutorials and Shark Bytes videos. Then you'll be ready for the 64-bit version when it is!

Thank you, rhinox202, for a lightning quick response. And also for the serious and very informative answer.

No problem!

By the way, here's a list of the 64-bit version's limitations. In case you're curious. It may also change your mind if any of the items in the list were something you wanted to use.

• There is no QuickTime Movie/MPEG4 import/export via Apple SDK.
• Premiere and After Effects plugins are not supported. This includes Boris FX/RED/Graffiti.
• The licensing panel(s) may show incorrect links to the Lightworks Shop.
• Audio content analysis is disabled.
• CDDA ripping is not available.
• MJPEG MOVs will not import correctly. Please use the 32bit version.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 1TB :: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 :: Windows 8.1 Pro w/ MCE x64 :: Lightworks 11.5
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by rhinox202.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.50 seconds