Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening

Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 6 months ago #22962

• dropdangle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 6 months ago
I am just about to turn my back on Lightworks, I cannot run it.

Windows 7 64 bit
First install of Lightworks 10.0.4.2
Installed Matrox codecs and fresh install of Quicktime 7

After havng problems, upgraded Nvidia drivers to newest available, uninstalled everything, re-booted, re-installed but same problem.

Windows crash report is this;
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	ntcardvt.exe
  Application Version:	10.0.35.2
  Application Timestamp:	4f75e02d
  Fault Module Name:	ntcardvt.exe
  Fault Module Version:	10.0.35.2
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4f75e02d
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	000ccc88
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1041
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Error log is this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Release Lightworks 10.0.4.2 (10.0.V.35.2)
Started on [PAUL] at Thu May 24 10:41:29 2012

Create thread $ Watchdog Life Support, priority 3, affinity -1
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct DisplayTaskItem>::Owner, priority 3, affinity -1
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct DisplayTaskItem>::Owner, priority 3, affinity -1
ササササ Lightworks No. 2 : Release Lightworks 10.0.4.2 dated Mar 30 2012
Starting at Thu May 24 10:41:29 2012

Setting project base directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects\
failed to open console driver \.LWCon
Create thread mainFunction, priority 0, affinity -1
Create thread debugmon, priority -2, affinity -1
User has admin rights
si.dwNumberOfProcessors 8
Warning: Unable to differentiate between processors.
Create thread OLE Host, priority 2, affinity -1
-0.000   : D3D9Ex supported
0.890    : Quicktime version  7728000 detected
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct Lw::Capture::CapturePacketItem>::Owner, priority 2, affinity -1
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct Lw::Capture::CapturePacketItem>::Owner, priority 2, affinity -1
Create thread Software Capture Video Audio Passthrough Thread, priority 2, affinity -1
Create thread Plugin1394Vtr Command issue, priority 3, affinity -1
Create thread DV clock, priority 4, affinity -1
Create thread Cueing, priority 2, affinity -1
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct DecompressItem>::Owner, priority 3, affinity -1
Create thread LwMtCache.daemon, priority 0, affinity -1
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct Lw::ReadSampleItemBase>::Owner, priority 2, affinity -1
Create thread Thread Decoupler queue: class DecouplingQueue<struct Lw::ReadSampleItemBase>::Owner, priority 2, affinity -1
Creat

That last line is not a mistake on my part, the text file just finishes after "creat"

Also, with respect to these lines...

"Setting project base directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects\
failed to open console driver \.LWCon"

The path is wrong to the Project folder. It is actually C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Lightworks\Projects\

Even though Watchdog says it is going to Re-launch Lightworks, nothing happens.

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 6 months ago #22982

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 6 months ago
@dropdangle

I'm sure we can help with this. Sorry you're having a rough ride.

Remember, though, that on Monday (in 4 days, 5 hours!) we're releasing the new, non-beta version of Lightworks. This will be easier to install as, for example, it no longer requires the Matrox drivers.

You might want to wait until Monday, download the new release, and try again.

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #32155

• penpen23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Hi,

i believe im having the same problem, i launch lightworks, click create on the new project page and immediately it crashes, ive never gotten past this screen
im using the latest installer, latest graphics drivers

intel i7 940
12g ram,
win 7 ultimate x64
nvidia gtx 560 ti
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by penpen23.

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #32156

• Orca
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
@penpen23

Please ensure you have installed LW under an 'Administrator' Windows User account. The problem you describe is a symptom of file permission restriction. If not, please reinstall 'as administrator'.

Once installed in the Admin environment, you need to rt click Lightworks.exe > 'Run as Administrator' - one time only.

Please let us know how you progress.

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #32159

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Would it be worth changing the compatibility feature to always run as admin? This is also under the right click menu and fixed a couple of problems I had with a different NLE.

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #32172

• penpen23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Hi Orca and Greg,
thanks for the help

i uninstalled lightworks, downloaded the newest build, logged in as an administrator, and just to be sure ran the installer with 'run as administrator'
installed the program, right clicked and opened lightworks with 'run as administrator'
exactly the same problem..
i definately am an administrator, the software was installed with admin and run with admin.. crashes on opening..

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #33027

• penpen23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
no other suggestions ?

so, lightworks doesnt actually work with windows 7 just yet ?
ive tried it on 3 boxes now and have the same issue, the forums have a fair
few posts with this issue aswell..

surely this single issue must be wiping out a potential third of the user base!?

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #33044

• Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
penpen23 wrote:
no other suggestions ?

so, lightworks doesnt actually work with windows 7 just yet ?
ive tried it on 3 boxes now and have the same issue, the forums have a fair
few posts with this issue aswell..

surely this single issue must be wiping out a potential third of the user base!?

Hi penpen23,

Lightworks version 11 DOES work with Windows 7 and has done since version 10. If Lightworks is failing to start for you then I suspect it is a permissions issue, as previously mentioned by Orca. Other potential issues that stop Lightworks from starting can be seen below:

Things worth checking on the system:

1. That the graphics card drivers are installed and working correctly. Please make sure that a "standard VGA" driver is NOT installed.

2. That the sound card is installed and working correctly, ie, you can hear audio coming from the system. Please make sure that speakers/headphones are connected and that the audio is enabled and that a red "X" is not present on the speaker icon in the notification area.

3. Intel 945 graphics chipsets are no longer supported. Please upgrade your graphics card to resolve this issue.

4. That you have started Lightworks ONCE by right clicking the Lightworks shortcut icon selecting "Run as administrator

5. That the UK.txt file is located in the install directory

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #33127

• penpen23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
sorry, dont mean to offend, ive just tried it on several boxes and all seemed to have the
same problem

i definately have the latest nvidia drivers installed and i have working sound, no red crosses in my device manager, i have a geforce gtx 560 ti graphics card in my machine, so its not running on an intel 945 chipset (that i know of), i definately have a uk.txt in the install directory and ive installed the software as admin and right clicked and run as admin first time

unfortunately it still crashes starting up, this is on three machines, but, im only really troubleshooting on one of them, iv using lightworks 11.0.2 and 11.0.3

from what ive read the steps ive taken should have worked, im not sure what else to try, is it possible that this problem isnt a permissions problem ? or that the permissions on the file have somehow been mucked up ? ive got 'run as admin' ticked in the compatibility mode tab aswell

thanks for the list of things to try cookie cutter, are you running it on windows ?

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #33147

• briandrys
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
I'm running Lightworks on Windows 7 without any problems other than recently having to switch off the firewall when I installed the latest update because of HASP. I don't know the figures, but I suspect a large percentage of users have Windows 7 because of that OS seems to be coming to the end of its cycle.

On the previous updates it installed with both the anti virus and the firewall still running without any difficulty.

Re: Win 7 64bit Crashes On Opening 2 years, 1 month ago #33150

• Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
Hi penpen23,

I wonder if you have DEP (Data Execution Prevention) enabled on all these systems? Instructions are below:

• Right click My Computer and select Properties
  • Click Advanced system settings
  • Click Settings under Performance
  • Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
  • The default setting for Windows is "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" If you have it set to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services" you will need to allow the Lightworks.exe
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.28 seconds