Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LINUX SUPPORT

Re: LINUX SUPPORT 1 year, 10 months ago #22993

Forum Admin wrote:
@Pinkflood said
easy for beginners

But I'm a beginner with Linux, so I'd need that!

Also, we want it to be as easy as possible to install, across a wide range of computers.

I know a lot of developers who use Ubuntu - not just at Editshare.

All interesting comments, though.

I'll drop my 2 cents in this discussion. I consider that Ubuntu (the unity and prior Gnome2 release) is brilliant, however I tend to agree with Pinkflood. The brilliance is that Canonical/Shuttleworth/De Icaza saw a gap between the "geek" and "the user". They aimed for this gap and invited the user, made their own market. Today I think they feel they need to reap what they sawed and aim for a tablet market (atleast that's what I consider Unity desktop might be good for).

However, my personal opinion I never really liked Gnome and went with KDE and Kubuntu. I find that the user friendliness in the Ubuntu philosophy is to scale down (i.e remove some possibilities) to optimize the system for the users need, to avoid many loop holes. With KDE/Kubuntu I come across some of those problems that hardly ever is seen in Ubuntu/Gnome/Unity, but I'm willing to have those problems for the sake of optimizing to my needs. I'm sure that Ubuntu/unity will be a great option to test/advocate by Editshare. Another option could be Linux Mint. I've never tested Mint myself but reviews are always good, and I think that the Cinnamon(Gnome3 fork) and Mate (pron; MAH-teh)(Gnome2 fork) DEs is appreciated by many *buntu users, plus Mint got a debian version now which is a rolling release Sid (Sid - unstable/test version), so no need for bi-annual upgrades and brakages. (tip to Forum Admin - give Mint a spin, unless you're a die-hard fan of Unity) I would agree anyone who say that KDE is to bloated and a resource hog compared to other DE's (LXDE and Xdfc etc mentioned above).

Forum Admin wrote:
@Pinkflood said
easy for beginners

One other thing: Editshare's non-Lightworks line of products - used by top-line broadcasters all over the world - run on Linux and so you can assume that they (we) know a bit about Linux performance optimisation.

This is what I've been dying to hear! If Editshare focus on the "simple 'n easy" solution for Linux systems, there will be projects/houses out there that will aim for complete optimisation (with Editshares help ofc.) - that will in the end benefit all users and studios - large and small.

best regards

Jonas
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by j0naslarss0n.

Re: LINUX SUPPORT 1 year, 10 months ago #22994

• rio
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
I say make it compatible with mainline stable Debian, Debian Testing and mainline RedHat/Fedora and there you've got 90% of linux market. The rest will probably package for them selves or use something like Alien to convert the packages.

Re: LINUX SUPPORT 1 year, 10 months ago #22996

• albe
  • Fresh Boarder
Forum Admin wrote:
Editshare's non-Lightworks line of products - used by top-line broadcasters all over the world - run on Linux and so you can assume that they (we) know a bit about Linux performance optimisation.

It's great to hear this! Should we maybe start a new topic to discuss about a possible Lightworks OS, or it's too early?

Re: LINUX SUPPORT 1 year, 10 months ago #22997

www.trinitydesktop.org/
j0naslarss0n you might give a go - old kde3 for better performance.

Re: LINUX SUPPORT 1 year, 10 months ago #23003

About the discussion about a Lightworks distribution: If Lightworks proves to be as good as expected, I am pretty sure someone will create such a ”creature”, at least when Lightworks is open source, so I don't think we need to worry too much about that.

Re: LINUX SUPPORT 1 year, 10 months ago #23004

• shuck
  • Fresh Boarder
guraknugen wrote:
About the discussion about a Lightworks distribution: If Lightworks proves to be as good as expected, I am pretty sure someone will create such a ”creature”, at least when Lightworks is open source, so I don't think we need to worry too much about that.

From what I've been told by moderators here, Windows is releasing next week, then full steam ahead work begins on a Mac/Linux port. Once those builds have been released to the world, an open source port begins.

Personally, I don't see the point of releasing a Linux build without support for open codecs like .ogv / .webm (and before anyone spams me about this, I'm talking about DELIVERY codecs, not production!).
Most Linux screencast software doesn't easily support proprietary codecs, so often a recording will be done as an OGG, then converted to a useable editing codec with ffmpeg. It would be great to see Lightworks support this out of the box (on Mac and Linux, but I'm being selfish!)
Time to create page: 1.92 seconds