Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best codec to use!

Best codec to use! 3 years, 11 months ago #2465

Use Cineforms codec. Cineforms codec(s) work in 8 - 10 - 12 bit colorspace. There are several scripts that will convert just about every viable codec out there into Cineform files with either avi or mov extensions. From SD to 4K they cover it all. Yes they are proprietary but so is everybody else. MXF (Avid), DNxHD (Avid) ProRes(Apple), AVC-Intra (Panasonic), AVCHD, AVCCAM, NXCAM, Red, HDV and DV. There are many more but they all convert to lossless cineform. Go with them and you have a winning strategy. None of the major video editing companies have done this. Some support Cineform as a plugin but nobody is using them as the default codec.

Re: Best codec to use! 3 years, 8 months ago #8290

• Jonathan_L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Can we get Google to release a codec suitable for editing like they did with VP8 and web video?
Total newbie
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Jonathan_L.

Re: Best codec to use! 3 years, 8 months ago #8297

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
It's hard to believe how the film/video industry survived until today - without Google's help!
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by drkuli. Reason: spelling

Re: Best codec to use! 3 years, 8 months ago #8298

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Just give us a way to convert everything into sequenced TIFF, maybe sequenced PNG to save on storage for an "offline" type of cut.

Re: Best codec to use! 3 years, 8 months ago #8304

• Jonathan_L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
Just give us a way to convert everything into sequenced TIFF, maybe sequenced PNG to save on storage for an "offline" type of cut.

APNG

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG
Total newbie

Re: Best codec to use! 3 years, 8 months ago #8341

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 8 months ago
The problem at the moment seems to be that every time a new camera comes on the market a new codec is created. I really would not like to be in software development at the moment with the number of codecs and their variants out there.

At the moment I'm archiving a digital feature. Apart from the HDcam master we're outputting to a 16-bit TIFF sequence - pretty close to one of the oldest graphics formats there is! Sound for the feature is stored as WAV, again hardly a new format.

It will all ultimately stabilise, but at the moment things in this area are chaotic.

Re: Best codec to use! 3 years, 6 months ago #10327

• mrjonthehat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 6 months ago
jwrl wrote:

It will all ultimately stabilise, but at the moment things in this area are chaotic.

20 years ago, the problem was finding the correct cable...now it's finding the right codec!

We haven't really progressed much.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.40 seconds