Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks and After Effects

Lightworks and After Effects 2 years, 9 months ago #18948

Hey guys.

Just wondering are there any scripts out there that would allow me to send cuts from Lightworks directly into After Effects ?

Re: Lightworks and After Effects 2 years, 9 months ago #18950

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Hi,

Lightworks has a Assistant Application feature, described in the User's Guide p. 137-141, that will allow you to do that.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by SMPse.

Re: Lightworks and After Effects 2 years, 9 months ago #18951

Cool. Thanks.

Re: Lightworks and After Effects 2 years, 9 months ago #18963

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
Manifesto Films wrote:
Hey guys.

Just wondering are there any scripts out there that would allow me to send cuts from Lightworks directly into After Effects ?

The Assistant Application feature doesn't work exactly like this. What it does is let you run AE from Lightworks and Lightworks will generate a text file showing which source video files are to be processed and what frames in the files are selected. In AE, you manually load these files and manually set the frames to be processed. You make your composite and render out a Lightworks compatible file into the directory you chose in the Assistant App setup. Then in Lightworks you select "Replace with import" to replace the frames in your edit with the AE rendered file.

I've created an Assistant Application helper program for Avisynth and\or VirtualDub (there's a thread in the Effects section of the forum) that automatically loads the source files and selects the frames to be processed. What it does is take the text file that Lightworks generates giving the source files and frames, parses it and writes an Avisynth and\or VirtualDub script using the information and then runs VirtualDub with command line switches to run the script.

If AE can be run from the command line with a project file as a parameter then it should be possible to create a helper program for it that can create an AE project file on the fly. The program I use to create my helper programs (AutoIt) can also execute keyboard and mouse macros in open programs so it would also be possible to open the project file in AE using a macro. But, I don't have AE so there's no way I can make a helper for it. If you could load AE, load a video file, select some frames to be processed then save a project file, zip it and attach it to a post here, I can look at it and see if I can make a helper program for AE. Adobe has a trial version but it's only for 64bit OS's. I only have 32bit OS's.
Work Comp: XP Professional SP3, Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3070MB, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB

Home Comp: TBA
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by khaver.

Re: Lightworks and After Effects 2 years, 9 months ago #18990

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
You'd have to actually create an AE project (.aep) file, which would not be trivial. While it would be good to see AE as a helper, it's unlikely I would have thought.

As for 32-bit versions of AE - they've gone. Only 64-bit from now on.

Re: Lightworks and After Effects 2 years, 9 months ago #19012

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 9 months ago
jwrl wrote:
You'd have to actually create an AE project (.aep) file, which would not be trivial. While it would be good to see AE as a helper, it's unlikely I would have thought.

Since this on the fly AE project file would only need the source file names and the frames to be processed any other information would just be dummy info. The utility could also parse a default AE project file the user provides and re-write it with the Lightworks information. I wouldn't think it should be too difficult to implement. It's just that I don't have access to AE to try it.

Even without my helper progam you can still use it as an Assistant Application by loading up AE manually with the right files using the information supplied by the sources-list.txt file generated by Lightworks.
Work Comp: XP Professional SP3, Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3070MB, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB

Home Comp: TBA
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by khaver.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.81 seconds