Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW?

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 3 years, 3 months ago #12245

Csarda1 wrote:

The days when an editor just CUT (unless you are a Hollywood feature editor star) are long gone, now we have to do everything. An editor non proficient in After Effects or Photoshop is almost an Pariah.

This is why I'm glad to be in the position I am at coming into Lightworks. I need it to do what it was originally designed to do. To cut footage and to cut a feature film at that.
Plug-ins? Effects? Couldn't care less. In terms of "effects" all I could see me needing is a dissolve and a fade to black. What I need is a fast, efficient, non nonsense, streamlined, straight forward cutter to build my story. And by what I have experienced from Lightworks so far it seems to deliver just that!
I much rather the development team put all their focus in making the application stable and solid, and not that it is not, as it has not crashed on me yet, and making it 100% functional as a cutter than putting efforts in getting fancy effects plug-ins to work with it. I absolute hate plug-ins for presets like magic bullet Looks and all the backed-in effects plug-ins out there which makes everybody's video not only look the same but equally cheap. It may be just me.

My opinion is that the focus needs be on what the application is, which is a cutter. This and all the things that go with that and effects plug-ins are not it. When that's done then the rest could be looked at.

In other words I think the development team is on the right track.

Csarda1 wrote:
The fact than I can use for FREE what Scorsese uses, an NLE that two years ago was only affordable by the Sultan of Brunei, (Softworks software-only limited version was like $3,000, without effects) is more than enough reward

Yeah, and yet, chances are Lightworks would be just fine for Scorsese or in this case Thelma Schoonmaker just the way it is now, without any fancy "videoey" effects.

Csarda1 wrote:
Will it be appealing for the a generation of "FCP-instant gratification-drag and drop-never read read a manual-open and edit-never used anything else" editors?

It shouldn't have to be. See, this is the sad thing about all this. While making Lightworks free is a great thing, it will unfortunately attract all the youtube editors, wedding editors and people who will want to use it for corporate, training videos, events, multimedia, cutting interviews with fancy effects and transitions and use it to do things Premiere and FCP do, all things Lightworks was not designed to do. So Lightworks will most likely have to, or end up being morphed into just one more "Swiss-knife wannabe" at the risk of losing the most attractive aspect of it, which is being an uncluttered and no bullshit cutter.

I was always about getting the right tool for the right job rather than trying to use a screw driver with a big handle as a hammer.

But sadly, this is what is most likely in the future of the application once it hits open source. It will morph into a Premiere type of program. Some will call it "getting on with the times". I will call it "succumbing to the times".

Unfortunately and realistically this is most likely unavoidable or even a necessary evil. Unless Lightworks would continue to be a niche application that costs thousands of dollars and used mainly by "film" editors, the crowd it was originally designed for.
But then I would never be able to afford it.

Irony is a weird thing isn't it?

I think Editshare is doing a great job at keeping focus where it matters.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by LW_for_Feature.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 3 years, 3 months ago #12246

Thanks for this thoughtful post, LW_.

What is amazing is that while the Developers are concentrating on LW as an editing tool, some of the forum users are developing some amazing effects: the best of both worlds!

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 3 years, 3 months ago #12562

• clutch
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
yes
that would be nice!

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 3 years ago #16198

• hatab4
  • Expert Boarder
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, WinFast GTX 460(Nvidia), Windows 7 64 bit, 8Gb RAM | Lightworks Free
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by hatab4.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 2 years, 8 months ago #19472

Some of the 3rd party Plug-In support discrepancies reported by LW users may be explained by the "version" of the plug-in attempting to be used. Compatibility for SW version to version is not uncommonly an issue.

A site for a European (French) firm familiar with the LW "turnkey" system (Touch) has some interesting, if dated, info in their documentation sections. One item lists "3rd party SW support and provides specific release versions of SW tools that are supported. It might be a useful guide as to what results to expect.

Look here: www.interlab-net.com/Int_docs&softs.htm

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 9 months ago #38468

Forum Admin wrote:
Csarda1 wrote:

I know LW is FREE and we shouldn't complain, but if Editshare wants to make something out of LW, they have to make it competitive.

Well, it's already the fastest editor in the universe, and also the free-est, which is not a bad start if we're going to talk about competitiveness.

Seriously: Editshare has a team of full-time, incredibly talented developers working on Lightworks. Over the last few months, since the start of the Beta program, we've seen some massive improvements. You only have to look at this trajectory to work out where this product will be in a year or so!

Lightworks is my video editing app of this decade, but a simple title generator program just makes plain since to be included. There is nothing more frustrating when trying out editing app and come to find out there is no way to include basic text over video.

I am from a family of cooks and chefs. They always say that a restaurant is only as good as it's soup. Something that is simple as soup could make or break a restaurant. Putting a basic title generator is the soup for most video editing applications.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 9 months ago #38469

"a simple title generator program" is included in the Pro version. May I suggest you purchase the Pro License at only $60 and all your wishes will be granted.
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 11.1, ClipToolz Suite
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770, 128GB+256GB SSD+4TB Raid0,
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia Quadro Kepler, BenQ 24" GUI, Sony 15" Scopes
Decklink PCIe 4K SDI>HD-Link Pro>BenQ 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
Sony E-Mount APS-C camera, 4x4" matte box/follow focus
Carl Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/Tascam DR-40 PCM audio
Clean HDMI out to Ninja 'Star' ProRes 422

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 9 months ago #38472

ozsteam wrote:
"a simple title generator program" is included in the Pro version. May I suggest you purchase the Pro License at only $60 and all your wishes will be granted.

That's just it, I own it already. There are some who may not be ready to take that step yet or just trying it for the first time. It could be a big turn off if they see that the basic version doesn't have a basic title generator.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 9 months ago #38486

• jwrl
  • Pro User
ozsteam wrote:

lailaeditor wrote:
That's just it, I own it already.

Interesting. It doesn't say that you own the professional version in your avatar. There should be a small icon at the bottom right of your avatar saying "Pro". There isn't. Are you certain that you've activated it correctly? Because if you had you would definitely have a title tool.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 9 months ago #38492

I am from a family of cooks and chefs. They always say that a restaurant is only as good as it's soup. Something that is simple as soup could make or break a restaurant. Putting a basic title generator is the soup for most video editing applications.

Hmm, not sure I know of any restaurants that give away the soup free!
Lightworks Turnkey System.
8 Terabytes Internal Raid Storage
6 Terabytes External Fibre Raid
Boris Red Effects

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 6 months ago #44247

• Cassina
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
Hello everybody.
I read quite all the conversation but I can't find a complete answer to the question.
I know that LW is actually in beta testing; I know that without the pro licenses I can't have every built-in Lightworks effects; etc etc...

I read also about the plugins I can install, but I'm quite a noob about such things so I ask you sorry if I'm going to do silly questions:

1. There is one (working) color correction (or color grading as you wish) plug in I can install on lightworks free and that doesn't cost too much (better if free )?
2. There is an image stabilization plug in I can install on Lw free ecc... ecc.. (see below)?

3. (I leave a blank space because this question doesn't really belong to this discussion) There's a way I can work with Lighworks and After Effect toghether without continuously importing/exporting encoding/decoding my footage?

for e.g. If I have shoot something on green screen (or if I want to do a mask or anything else) what is the best workflow to better match Lightworks and After Effect edit?
Is the right way to 1) import the footage and edit with Lightworks; 2) to export only the clips I want to correct in After Effect; 3) to work in AE and export; 4) to import the clips again and finish the editing with LW ?

If yes, does it means that I had to encode the footage with eyeframe converter every time I import and export?

Using the pro version does it simplify the workflow?

Thanks for your answer and thanks to all the LW staff for the amazing job they're doing giving us this powerful tool!
MSI Z77A-G45;
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz;
Corsair 16GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB);
nVidia GTX770 2GB DDR5 by Gigabyte;
1 HDD 160GB - OS;
2 HDD 2 TB (1+1) WD Green;
Windows 7 64bit.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Cassina.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 6 months ago #44312

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
IMHO Lightworks at present time is neither free nor open source.

Practically it is shareware, that is the best description for the current marketing:
Test it with the free version, with limited functionality (e.g. there is a decent title generator in the pro version which was left out at the free one), and then if you like it, buy the pro license, which is kind of a annual leasing or renting model.

So without the intention of being sarcastic, but making many plug-ins working great in the free version of Lightworks might get in conflict with the actually commercial side
Lightworks 12 x64 version (pro license), on Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64.
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 275, 896 MB RAM
Sound: External, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (via Firewire)
Disks: RAID 0 SATA II internal, 160 GB for OS and applications, one eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
Cams: Sony NEX-VG20, NEX-5N, Panasonic HDC-SD100, all in PAL Region
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by timzett.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 6 months ago #44314

• RWAV
  • Pro User
LW has a free version and an annual rental model for a full featured version.
LW has never promised native access to every codec imaginable. IMHO they are currently trying too hard to accomodate too much at the expense of overall funtionality.
IMHO LW would not benefit from opening itself to the self-interested viper's nest that 'open source', it seems to me, can become.
Heroic users, notably @khaver, on this forum have already contributed many many effects plugins for LW.
LW has given every assistance to competent users in an effort to aid them in programming for LW effects.
It does not seem to me that LW is in any way obstructing others from writing LW compatible plug-ins, but save for the few, there does not seem to be a great rush of capable people coming forward with contributions.
IMHO, notwithstanding those who promise to 'fix' LW once it is open source, the above is probably a likely failing of an 'open source' model too.

@Cassina

1. LW already has colour correction effects in both visions - no they are not full grading suites like DaVinci.
2, No.
3. If you select a codec compatible with both LW and AE you just need to load the LW video in AE and import the result back into LW
4. (a) Import into LW. (b) Access LW clips in AE. (c)Export AE result and import that into LW.
If you need help with (b) please let me know and I'll write a workflow for you ASAP, probbaly over the weekend.

Do you have to encode with eyeframe each time? No.

Does LW Pro simplify the workflow - potentially yes, depends on the source codec, it may take the eyeframe step out of the process.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz, 2927 Mhz, 6 Core(s),
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
BlackMagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
Driver Version 9.6.8

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 6 months ago #44319

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
IMHO they are currently trying too hard to accomodate too much at the expense of overall funtionality.

Even though I am just a hobbyist, I agree to some point. On the other hand, in order to wrestle the consumer market away from the myriad of editors (some included with the cameras), it is essential to facilitate a convenient means of import/export. Once a position in that market is established, limited resources can be applied in other areas of development.

'open source'

That's a mess. I've been watching one open source editor for a while. Recently development was halted in order to improve stability. What development team ignores stability in lieu of features?

...open source.
Dell 8400 Intel P-4 HT 3.0 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 2-Seagate Barracuda 500 GB internal HDDs, 1-WD My Book 1 TB ext HDD (USB 3.0 PCIe), Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit, (Dual boot w/ Ubuntu Studio 14.04), SoundBlaster Audigy SE, Nvidia GT 630 2048 MB DDR3 RAM, LWKS v12
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Which 3rd party Plugin ACTUALLY works with LW? 1 year, 6 months ago #44322

• Cassina
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you RWAV for your answers.
I will try the way you explain me to better match the two softwares.

I'm trying the free version before purchasing, just to check if I can work well with my actually configuration and tipe of work. 60dollars aren't too much for an annual license, but I would not to waste money in a (beautiful) software that doesn't help me working.

Thanks again for offering to help me, but what "ASAP" means (I'm not english and I cant figure it out).
Bye,
Andrea
MSI Z77A-G45;
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz;
Corsair 16GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB);
nVidia GTX770 2GB DDR5 by Gigabyte;
1 HDD 160GB - OS;
2 HDD 2 TB (1+1) WD Green;
Windows 7 64bit.
Time to create page: 2.82 seconds