Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bridge between Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve

Bridge between Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29430

Hello!

I would like to ask Editshare to try to communicate with Blackmagic Design and see what options could there be for Editshare to cooperate with Blackmagic Design and create a bridge between Lightworks and DaVicni Resolve as well as DaVinci Revival.

Since DaVinci Resolve originated on Linux platform (if I am not mistaken) maybe Editshare could also convince Blackmagic Design to release the DaVinci Resolve Lite for Linux too ( odd that they have only pro version available there (as well as Lite version on Linux would also bring a lot more people to use both software if they cooperate)) but Lightworks is a future of serious video editing because it is the only video editor to support 3 major operating systems and will finally destroy the boundaries and walls of cooperative workflow between editors working on different OSs. Lightworks paired with DaVinci Resolve would make one amazingly powerful workflow there.

I would also like to invite users of Lightworks to send a request to Balckmagic Design regarding the Lightworks support. They already created a seamless workflow between DaVinci Resolve and FCP, hopefully I will not offend anyone, but to create a seamless workflow between Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve in my opinion would be a lot smarter thing, again due to multiplaform support which simply will result in more users to use software packages.

I would be very grateful for your consideration and support regarding this feature request.
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 14.04
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by Site Admin.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29466

Interesting post. It would be great if it was easier to use DaVinci Resolve with Lightworks.

I recently downloaded DaVinci Resolve Lite to experiment with color grading. I'm still a little unsure how best to use it without a "bridge" to Lightworks.

Do you have experience using Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve? Is it possible to import a completed Lightworks project into DaVinci Resolve and still be able to select/grade separate clips? I don't know the best workflow without the bridge between the two programs.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29467

I'm in the planning stages of a high spec custom workstation. LW Pro and Resolve are two of the handfull of programmes that I plan to install on it so I'm very keen to hear Forum members thoughts and comments on this workflow path.
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 11.1, ClipToolz Suite
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770, 128GB+256GB SSD+4TB Raid0,
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia Quadro Kepler, Decklink 4K SDI & HD-Link Pro
BenQ 24" GUI, Sony 15" Scopes + BenQ 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
X-Keys Pro 86 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
Carl Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Sony E-Mount APS-C camera, 4x4" matte box/follow focus
Rode NTG-3/Tascam DR-40 PCM audio
Clean HDMI out to Ninja 'Star' ProRes 422
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29471

Hello!

Unfortunately it is only my third day with DaVinci Resolve, so I am still a big n00b there.
While I still don;t have a pro licence of LW I have very limited export and import options so my workflow is very simple:

LW free license doens;t allow to import raw videos from DSLR cameras that I always get so I copy all material to my media folder, then I open this media in DaVinci resolve, do the color grading and then export videos to a mov container using a decoder that LW supports, then I open LW and import using transcoding to DVCPro100 and do the final touch ups with Lightworks features and make a video cut.

What I liked about DaVinci Resolve is that it can seamlessly share projects between FCP and Resolve. I do not have a mac so can;t tell for sure, but from videos that I have seen it looks like there is this nice bridge between FCP and DaVinci resolve where people simply have their video NLE assemble, save it as EDL or XML (?) (I really mix those shortcut titles) and then whatever they do to the video project in DaVinci Resolve is automatically transferred to FCP.

This is what I would like. In addition I would be more happy if Lightworks could simply call out DaVincy Resolve without the need to export those project files. I am certain that Lightworks seamlessly paired with DaVinci Resolve could easily dominate the industry, two perfect solution join their power tools for one purpose: create fabulous videography on a fly. Seriously with right encoding LW simply flies on my PC, DaVicny resolve lite also is working as a rocket, I have a color grade consisting of 20 nodes and it plays back in real time without rendering (Lite version is limited to one thread, but it still flies!)! These two software are more than amazing, they really make the one fit deadlines, they are fast as lighting for most things!

In addition there is a need to convince Blackmagic Design to release Lite version for Linux too, sooner or later people will still upgrade to pro versions but for starters lite versions are really good way to get more people into the boat, especially small studios that could build render farms using Linux platform and focus on investing into the tools rather than having a headache of additional licenses for OSs.

Anyway, with my current limited resources LW and Resolve is God sent tools. Even without the bridge they are fantastic options. The one just need to be picky about the shots to take, because now Resolve comes first, then LW.

By the way DaVInci Resolve has a comform page which has some basic editing features, I still dind;t figure out how it works, it seems that the time line is locked whenever I try to use it, but basic editing can be done inside DaVinci Resolve and I saw there options to export EDL and XMLs. Time will show how it works, but after having 3 days with Resolve, I am loving it together with Lightworks. Because I can do heavy color grading in Resolve and enjoy 32bit floating point for colors and then finish the color touch up with fantastic Lightworks color correction tools if I see I need some extra touches. I am telling you, these two paired are fantastic tools!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 14.04

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29472

What about AAF Interchange. Does it work?

Erik
Rotterdam
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz,
Mem. 24.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000,
WIN. 7 64, Lightwork Pro Licence, LW Keyboard, Console, Mackie. MATROX MXO2 LE.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29478

Yes. In the early 90's, when a DaVinci package at NAB/SMPTE cost some $60-80K, it was class leading stuff. Now, with Resolve software @ $1K and 'lite for free', it's as stunning as Lightworks is exciting.

There may be threads on this Forum which have already explored this possible workflow but exporting Edit Decision Lists (EDLs) is probably the solution. I like Danas suggestion of grading the 'rushes' in Resolve prior to edit as this reminds me of an 'off line' edit in the old days where an editor prepared his or her material thoroughly on cheap VTRs which recorded the timecode of any edit decisions prior to the final 'on-line' edit on very expensive hardware.

For example, I shoot AVCHD at 50P on a high quality pro-sumer camcorder then transcode selected .MTS 'takes' using the DNxHD codec and generate timecode during the transcode. (my HQ and proxy transcodes share identical timecodes). Next, I edit the low rez 'proxy' files with LW (as I have relatively low spec laptop) then finally render back from the HQ originals. The EDL created by the proxy edit can be used to accurately to recreate the final HQ product. Editing proxy is like the old 'off line' edit and rendering from the HQ files is similar to an on-line edit.

Grading the selected 'takes' prior to transcode seems ideal unless of course you (or your client) wish to change a shot after the programme is completed. An accurate, timecoded shot list/EDL has got to be part of the solution.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29480

I don't understand why would you grade your rushes prior the editing.
You will also grade shot what you never use. Normally the grading is depending of what is the prior shot and the next shot. So the workflow is upsite down.

The EDL export is not working because with linked files the is no reel info.

Erik
Rotterdam
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz,
Mem. 24.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000,
WIN. 7 64, Lightwork Pro Licence, LW Keyboard, Console, Mackie. MATROX MXO2 LE.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29506

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
With cameras that produce a flat output you need to apply a generic initial grade to get the images to look decent enough for editing, then go back and spend real time on them.

Another reason to do them initially is to do a transcode to a high quality codec, I've seen several people comment that when Resolve Lite in installed they can take their h.264 files, apply corrections and transcode out to a Black Magic codec, then direct link in Lightworks to do the edit. This would be similar to transcoding in Cineform but you have the advantage of doing a few quick corrections and noise reduction on the way into the edit.

I will say that getting BMD to work nicely with Lightworks probably won't happen until the Mac version of Lightworks, BMD is still highly Mac centric right down to the format they chose for their recorders and camera. I would have been happier if they chose one of the Linux EXT formats over HFS, EXT is easier to get drivers for Windows.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29528

I've experimented with some of the BMD codecs and they are very good so this is a workflow worth trying. BMD codecs were (and may still be) available separately from BMD's website but I imagine they are bundled with any BMD software like Resolve.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29530

This is a very strange decision by BMD to focus on Macs so much.

I don't have one, I wanted one but lately Apple did some awkward decisions like focusing more on being a fashion toys leaving pro line way behind. I read some nasty rumors about Apple discontinuing Pro line (don;t know if this is true) but the situation with my friends who have Macs is changing much. Two years ago when many of my colleagues migrated to Macs they said they are never going to look back to a machine running Windows. Now with latest decisions by Apple their euphoria began to fade. One of my really respected friends, who is a high end animator, is really upset about the latest updates and said that Mac OS X is turning into kids toy removing many advanced features. yet I can;t be 100% sure since I my self don;t have any product by Apple, But the more I read about future plans the less trust I have in Apple as well as MS Windows seems to not go the attractive road. For me that is.

BMD is going a really dangerous road there by focusing heavily on MACs in my eyes. it looks so strange to me when software developers seem to pick platforms that each year introduce more restrictions while Linux or BSD systems are more and more open to high end technology and while DaVinci Resolve originated on Linux if I am not mistaken, to see such heavy focus on Macs by BMD is so odd, especially with Apple failure with FCP Pro X which left almost entire professional video editors league be not happy ( that is what I have read in many different articles).

I am convinced that open platform whether it is Linux, BSD or other open Unix system allows more flexibility and more options to take full potential of software. Linux seems to be the best one now available.

hopefully if people will show more requests for support of open platform BMD and other companies will go back to the good roads. Honestly I would rather like to build a studio of renderfarm computers using Linux and invest more into pro licenses of my tools of choice than to have to buy additional licenses for operating systems which restricts me with many policies and licenses which eventually makes me have less funds for pro licenses on the things I actually need.

This is my personal opinion.

I think it would be enough for Editshare to reveal their situation on Linux and Mac OS X ports and try to communicate with BMD. I believe they could really come up with something.
After all, once Lightworks will support all major operating systems I see no reason why it shouldn;t become industry leader. Nowadays editors face project sharing issues, especially international ones where we can see differentiating in Mac OS X vs MS Windows platforms, FCP vs Avid vs Adobe Premiere in different regions while Lightworks is up to eliminating this issue and letting creativity to truly fly free.

So i think if we did show more requests regarding Lightworks and DaVinci resolve a cooperation solution between these two apps is possible. I am certain both Editshare and BMD want more users and clients. The more the better. And Lightworks with DaVinci Resolve makes a killer combination.
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

Kubuntu 14.04

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29539

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
BMD and AJA started as Mac only, when they bought DaVinci they gained a Linux path that they are thankfully so far still supporting. I can only assume market pressure has pushed them to make a Windows version but I also could be wrong. AJA still seems to be the most Mac focused.

And you are right, a lot of people are unhappy with the professional support with Mac, just scan some of the posts from the people waiting for Lightworks on Mac. Apple is slowly adding the missing features back into FCP, I think the switch to 64bit forced them to cut many of these things until they worked out the details. All that said I still don't like their business model, we used to have Macs in our editing classroom, this year we are finally going to Windows after a year of running Windows on the Macs. It has been good and bad, the good is all our software plays nicely together now, the bad is I shouldn't have purchased the machines that were recommended and stuck to the machine components that I specified.

Now if I could only get the rest of the department to look at Lightworks...

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29634

Greg_E wrote:
BMD and AJA started as Mac only, when they bought DaVinci they gained a Linux path that they are thankfully so far still supporting. I can only assume market pressure has pushed them to make a Windows version but I also could be wrong. AJA still seems to be the most Mac focused.

And you are right, a lot of people are unhappy with the professional support with Mac, just scan some of the posts from the people waiting for Lightworks on Mac. Apple is slowly adding the missing features back into FCP, I think the switch to 64bit forced them to cut many of these things until they worked out the details. All that said I still don't like their business model, we used to have Macs in our editing classroom, this year we are finally going to Windows after a year of running Windows on the Macs. It has been good and bad, the good is all our software plays nicely together now, the bad is I shouldn't have purchased the machines that were recommended and stuck to the machine components that I specified.

Now if I could only get the rest of the department to look at Lightworks...

But DaVinci Resovle as a tool originated in Linux? As I read articles it looks like it was introduced on Linux based system. hmm....

or maybe it was born on some earlier system. looks like Da Vinci Resolve born as WIZ in 1982.
Heck I didn;t exist at that time
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

Kubuntu 14.04
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Danas_Anis.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29643

Hi All,

My own personal experience with AJA, BMD gives me the impression there are no specific loyalties to either MAC or Windows. I use a Kona 3G Capture system on a Windows based system (running Avid symphony) with absolutely no issues. I also use BM Hyperdeck devices and an SDI SmartviewHD monitor on all my machines without any problems. I have just purchased a BM SDI capture device for use with both my MBP and Windows based systems and did so because the drivers and support for both platforms work very well as it should do. Lightworks can use files generated by both AJA systems and BM systems without issues. I agree with the sentiment expressed here for a Lightworks DaVinci Resolve partnership but will wait until Resolve is finally released for windows. My limited exposure to DaVinci though illustrates it is Intel centric and this I think is a bit narrow minded.

@Greg_E

I have to agree regarding the selection of HFS EXT Journalling as the format for Hyperdeck devices, but having said that, now that MacDisk Pro 9 is available for Windows, means that formatting/reading/writing to these devices on a Windows based machine is no longer an issue. I also agree that Apple unfortunately has a history, particularly among the professional community (Broadcast in particular) of dropping products and leaving users bewildered including the dropping of support for Xsan and Final cut Server. The slowly adding back of certain elements to FCP X is more to do IMHO with marketing and sales. I would site the example of making all the once included FCP 7 apps such as Compressor, Motion and the like seems to me more about making money rather that anything else as they are now all available at an additional cost in the Apple store. FCP 7 retailed here in Australia for approximately $1800.00 when it was available and now its replacement is one fifth the cost but without all the added functionality FCP 7 once offered. Their selling off of the Colour option to ILM was yet another example made for future developmental and financial restructuring according to what I have read. Their Mac Pro's are expensive (they look great) but you can now build Windows based machines equally as powerful at one third the cost. I feel for you when it comes to the decision which you had to make at the time and yes manufacturers IMHO make some pretty compelling arguments, but imagine how the networks that signed up for 30-40 of these machines per capital and the associated servers etc are feeling now.

Roll on Mac & Linux version of Lightworks as this puts it in the consumers hands when it comes to choice and this is a good thing.

JM2CW

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by ABCRONNIE.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29680

• arniepix
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
Back in the days when episodic TV was shot on film and cut on computer platforms like Avid & FCP this was standard practice. The rushes would be transfered by telecine to tape, with a basic CC pass made by the telecine operator. When the show was picture locked, it would be onlined with a new telecine pass and new color correction.

Re: Bridge between Lightwors and DaVinci Resolve 2 years, 2 months ago #29695

• RWAV
  • Pro User
The current analogy is – often the edit is done using proxy files run through some LUT based colour correction workflow; after lock-off these are replaced by original media and graded by specialist colourists.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz, 2927 Mhz, 6 Core(s),
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
BlackMagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
Driver Version 9.6.8
  • Page:
Time to create page: 2.59 seconds