Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)?

Re: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)? 3 years, 4 months ago #3380

Thanks for you work! Do you have any concrete plans regarding Linux port though?

Thanks for your comments.

We are in the process of preparing the code for Open Source release. This is a complex procedure, and has to go through technical and legal stages. So there is no concrete release date yet. Porting an application like Lightworks to other platforms and OSes is a big task. We will need the co-ordinated efforts of a core team of Open Source developers. But we are confident that we have such an active community - which is growing all the time - that this will happen. Once we release the source code, how quickly it happens will depend on the community.

Re: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)? 3 years, 4 months ago #3415

• Setlec
  • Junior Boarder
Forum Admin wrote:
We are in the process of preparing the code for Open Source release. This is a complex procedure, and has to go through technical and legal stages. So there is no concrete release date yet. Porting an application like Lightworks to other platforms and OSes is a big task. We will need the co-ordinated efforts of a core team of Open Source developers. But we are confident that we have such an active community - which is growing all the time - that this will happen. Once we release the source code, how quickly it happens will depend on the community.

hmmm if i may say, this beta is for selling your software so more ppl would have an interest in using it, that fair enough imho. But that won't help much since there is no actual port for linux or mac, and most linux users, that use tools like Cinelerra and alike, would try to run it with wine and find just like I did, that this software won't work with wine. if there was a linux/Mac osX port, it would do much better for a future FOSS project. i honestly lost much of my faith in this software, i don't use windows much (primarily because of my job) so i don't plan to reboot my pc just to run your software. as you guys have been really exited to make your baby into a FOSS then use this time to port it to linux or mac or both... the rest when the source code is available we the community and you guys can clean the messy src code from bad port, bugs and what not...

just my single cents. ofc it's my opinion and i've no intention of offending anyone with this post of mine, just in case i did offend someone i ask for your forgiveness...

Re: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)? 3 years, 4 months ago #3417

• ouahabix
  • Senior Boarder
In fact you've offended more than you think!

If you've already participated in any Open Source Project you should've been used to be harassed by un-pleased users who usually threaten to switch to another alternative, or criticize why your project doesn't have this or that, and keep showering you with their intern anguish and frustrations which is typical anyway, while at the other hand they don't care at all about the hours and days and months you spent developing your product, missing family meetings, socializing and other stuffs they won't give up doing them even in their dreams.

So at least, show some support and wish them the good luck, it's more than enough for me to know they have the intentions to port it, let alone start doing it.

Sorry if I've offended you though, but it's coming from somebody who's got full with un-pleased users who had never paid for using his codes.

Regards.
Dell XPS L502X Core i7-2670QM, CORSAIR 1333MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM 16Gb, nVidia GT540M 2Gb, 500Gb.

Asus P5QD Turbo, Q8800, 8Gb, 2x500GB, 120GB SSD, nVidia GTX 550Ti 1Gb.

Re: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)? 3 years, 4 months ago #3418

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
@Setlec. Well, I haven't any previous experiences with participating in an opensource project, except of testinig some software. In fact, the same I do here. I wrote nearly two hundreds of posts and I don't have a feeling that I explicitly helped much. I used to think I might be the biggest pain in the *ss here. Now I'm sure I'm not. Sorry, if I offended anybody.
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)? 3 years, 4 months ago #3425

i don't use windows much (primarily because of my job) so i don't plan to reboot my pc just to run your software

Well, good luck in finding another free, top-end editing system that is being actively supported by the original developers that created it, as well as by an active community of extremely knowledgeable users, hardware experts and Open Source Developers.

Re: Linux Version (and Source Code Location)? 3 years, 3 months ago #3436

• Setlec
  • Junior Boarder
@ouahabix: Dude calm down, honestly i didn't expect such reaction. just to let you know i work with linux and FOSS for over 7 years, I'm a developer and linux consultant. I've seen many companies doing such thing as releasing a beta/retail version then nothing more...

@drkuli: it's hard to contribute in such situation. we suggest features, upload tutorials and some other things but it's minimal until the situation becomes a FOSS then yes anything will help the growth of the project.

@Forum Admin: Honestly i'm not a professional in the film industry, so i do use cinelerra, sometimes i go ask a friend (which is a pro) that use SGO Mistika with runs great on linux. I don't require that software to be FOSS in order to support it, i Just require that it support linux and other OSes, Proprietary software are welcome to linux like native games, Video editing software, Photo editing software and etc... Back in april you guys stated that you would Open source, honestly i was very exited to see a company that i've never heard of before to do such thing... then time passes so my interest did...

Now, while you are in the technical/legal stage situation kinda taking time, can you spare one Dev to try to port to linux? then yes i would test without problem your software.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Setlec.
Time to create page: 1.33 seconds