Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec

Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 4 years, 1 month ago #12472

• frankaldana
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
Are there plans for Lightworks to support the Canopus HQ/HQX codecs in the future? I'm an Edius editor and I've found these codecs very robust as intermediate editing codecs. They can support alpha channels, super-whites and HQX can now support resolutions up to 4K.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but how about support for Grass Valley editing hardware? (HDspark, HDstorm, Edius NX, ADVC, etc.) Baseband output thru either component or HDMI to an external broadcast monitor is a big plus.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 years, 10 months ago #33138

• jacquestoo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Hello everybody! May I please reactivate this post? Canopus HQ/HQX codec is a valid alternative to CineForm and/or ProRes. Easy, fast, open, available. I think the hardware support suggestion of the original post is unrealistic. But, what about supporting a codec that's widely used in the broadcsting community? Anyone? Moderator? J.

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 years, 10 months ago #33145

• ABCRONNIE
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Hi jacquestoo

Are you not able to use Canopus HQ/HQX AVI's? I have been using them since Version 11.02 and they import just fine into Lightworks Vers. 11.03 or perhaps your thinking is, Lightworks should be able to export Canopus HQ/HQX.

I think that would be great, although I am not sure GV would give away their encoding secrets to easily. They have also made them available for users in a QT wrapper so they can view files from Edius even if Edius is not installed.

FWIW only the HQX codec is 10Bit though HQ is only 8Bit Anybody with Procoder 3.06 can also transcode to Canopus HQ/HQX files also.

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 years, 10 months ago #33344

• jacquestoo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your input. I couldn't tell you whether or not I'm able to use CanopusHQ in LW. I haven't installed either of the last two builds, yet. I was pretty much "off the grid" for two months, even generating my own power by means of solar panels and windmills. I guess I'll have to apologize to the administrator and community for bringing up an issue that seems to be moot, now.

I won't be participating in this forum very much for the weeks to come, as my project asks for Edius. I have literally thousands of clips to sift through. It's just not realistic to transcode 100+ hours of footage. In this respect it will be helpful that LW now accepts CanopusHQ/HQX, once the stuff is organized.

Also, I've been pretty much preoccupied by the death of a camp cook who was dragged away and partially devoured by a brown bear sow with two cubs. I know what your question's going to be - no, I don't have the footage. - And, if I had it, I wouldn't make it available for viewing. J.

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 weeks, 6 days ago #98370

• AlbertGS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
Hi Ronnie
I am using EDIUS 7.5 with Grass Valley HQX codec.
Can Lightworks also use the HQX codec? How do you get Lightworks to use the Codec. What intermediate codec comes with Lightworks?
My understanding is that EDIUS quality is due to the fact that they use the codec as their intermediate codec to decompress input files like H.264 files during edit and then output any format you select like H.264 so ideally, Lightworks could do the same assuming it uses Quicktime??

According to The Intermediate Codec Thread
Grass Valley HQ, HQX and Lossless
Color Spaces - 4:2:2, 4:4:4.
Bit Depths - 8,10
Resolutions - HQ -1280x720, 1920x1080. HQX and Lossless - Resolution independent, 24x24 through 8192x4320
"Can be decoded and encoded by any NLE that uses Quicktime components or VFW once the codecs are installed. VBR (HQ, HQX) - The bit rate is user selectable. HQX has internal Alpha channel support. The lossless codec appears to be mathematically lossless. Multi-threaded and 32/64 bit.. Freely distributable."

See Grass Valley HQX Codec

And see info on Intermediate Codec Grass Valley HQX Codec Info

Also does Lightworks use Intel Quick Sync for rendering H.264 (new in Edius 8 )

How did you create AVI's with HQX. Can it be done without Edius?
Thanks
Al
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 6 days ago by AlbertGS. Reason: Added links

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 weeks, 6 days ago #98377

• jacquestoo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
Hi Albert,
Sorry to have to inform you that our friend Ronnie, @ABCRonnie, is no longer with us. He sadly left this world one year ago.

Ronnie and I had some exchanges on both forums, the LightWorks one, as well as the GrassValley's. Note that Ronnie was the professor and I was just his pupil.

I'm presently using both, EDIUS 7.5, as well as EDIUS 8. Way back, many bottles ago, when using EDIUS 6.08, I was able to import iterations of the Canopus codec into Lwks Pro. I haven't tried since, as for my necessities a DNxHD Export/Import workflow cuts the mustard.

On this note, I would like to ask when you purchased EDIUS 7. I believe they have a deal where you get EDIUS 8 Workgroup, for free, if you have previously purchased version 7. Anyway, to make a long story short: They included the DNxHD plugin for free as well - and that's how and where I got mine. This is how I do it, and it's likely the most painless way. Hope this helps!

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 weeks, 5 days ago #98399

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
AlbertGS, you already have an answer to this question in the other thread. The issues raised here no longer apply to the current version. This thread is now locked.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.70 seconds