Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec

Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 3 years, 3 months ago #12472

• frankaldana
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
Are there plans for Lightworks to support the Canopus HQ/HQX codecs in the future? I'm an Edius editor and I've found these codecs very robust as intermediate editing codecs. They can support alpha channels, super-whites and HQX can now support resolutions up to 4K.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but how about support for Grass Valley editing hardware? (HDspark, HDstorm, Edius NX, ADVC, etc.) Baseband output thru either component or HDMI to an external broadcast monitor is a big plus.

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 years ago #33138

• jacquestoo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Hello everybody! May I please reactivate this post? Canopus HQ/HQX codec is a valid alternative to CineForm and/or ProRes. Easy, fast, open, available. I think the hardware support suggestion of the original post is unrealistic. But, what about supporting a codec that's widely used in the broadcsting community? Anyone? Moderator? J.

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 years ago #33145

• ABCRONNIE
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Hi jacquestoo

Are you not able to use Canopus HQ/HQX AVI's? I have been using them since Version 11.02 and they import just fine into Lightworks Vers. 11.03 or perhaps your thinking is, Lightworks should be able to export Canopus HQ/HQX.

I think that would be great, although I am not sure GV would give away their encoding secrets to easily. They have also made them available for users in a QT wrapper so they can view files from Edius even if Edius is not installed.

FWIW only the HQX codec is 10Bit though HQ is only 8Bit Anybody with Procoder 3.06 can also transcode to Canopus HQ/HQX files also.

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Support for Canopus HQ/HQX codec 2 years ago #33344

• jacquestoo
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years ago
Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your input. I couldn't tell you whether or not I'm able to use CanopusHQ in LW. I haven't installed either of the last two builds, yet. I was pretty much "off the grid" for two months, even generating my own power by means of solar panels and windmills. I guess I'll have to apologize to the administrator and community for bringing up an issue that seems to be moot, now.

I won't be participating in this forum very much for the weeks to come, as my project asks for Edius. I have literally thousands of clips to sift through. It's just not realistic to transcode 100+ hours of footage. In this respect it will be helpful that LW now accepts CanopusHQ/HQX, once the stuff is organized.

Also, I've been pretty much preoccupied by the death of a camp cook who was dragged away and partially devoured by a brown bear sow with two cubs. I know what your question's going to be - no, I don't have the footage. - And, if I had it, I wouldn't make it available for viewing. J.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.42 seconds